Saturday, May 4, 2013

Remembering Supa Dupa

I'm not much of a Missy Elliott fan, but I came across the video and had an "Oh yeah, I remember", moment. The album Supa Dupa came out in 1997. I had to look it up as I had no idea. Minus the pot talk, and the stereotypical dancing girls, I'm reliving and loving this song. She can't stand the rain, and I love it, so there's an issue there too.

What makes me lap this up; is the creativity in this video. Elliott, doesn't hide her size, but embraces it. But as I said above, she does add in some half naked dancing girls. There could be a gaggle of reasons for this. Perhaps she felt she did need need to make up for her size, or perhaps she felt it wouldn't be a rap video without dancing girls.

Elliott has plenty of guest stars in this video, some whom I actually recognize. After some digging, I found that the best part of this song is a sample from Ann Peebles' 1974 single "I Can't Stand the Rain." I found some photos of a young Peebles and saw that she actually resembles Elliott. I found my next purchase: the Anne Peebles album by the same name of her famous single.


Supa Dupa Fly by Missy Elliott (1997)

No comments:

Post a Comment