Monday, April 29, 2013

Henry Rollins performs "I Got a Right" at Ron Asheton's Tribute Concert.- 2009

In April 2011, Iggy Pop and the Stooges, held a concert to honor his former bass player, Ron Asheton, who died in 2009 of a heart attack. The concert took place Asheton's hometown. in Ann Arbor, Michigan. July 17, 1948 – January 1, 2009 Asheton's hometown of Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Below is highlight footage posted by Rolling Stone contributor, RJ Cubarrubia.

Henry Rollins took front and center as he performed the Stooges' tune, "I Got a Right." The former Black Flag frontman did a swell job, as I imagine Iggy was somewhere watching from the wings.

Rollins is as impressive as ever. It's a treat to watch him perform music --  he lends his voice and oh so rad stage presence, when paying tribute to artist he admires -- notably when he performed with UK band, The Ruts in 2007, as a tribute to the deceased guitarist Paul Fox.

Per Cubarrubia, The Ron Asheton Tribute Concert will be released on DVD on June 4th. All profits will go towards the Ron Asheton Foundation, which supports animal welfare and music.

Henry Rollins performs "I Got a Right" at Ron Asheton's Tribute Concert.- 2009

Iggy Pop and the Stooges' new album, Ready to Die, drops tomorrow, April 30th, 2013. I pre-ordered my copy, a while ago. I will be pleased to meet it's arrival.

An always thrill for me is to hear the magic that is Mike Watt on bass. He's a talent of course, but my affinity towards him is doubled as he was a part of San Pedro, California punk band, The Minutemen. The Minutemen existed in the 80s. Not many bands come from my hometown and current residence of Pedro. Watt joined Iggy Pop and the Stooges in 2003.

Visit the official Iggy Pop and the Stooges website, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment