Saturday, May 12, 2012

Being Weird


















(a beautiful revolution)

Is it REALLY such a compliment?

I've been referred to as weird since I was a wee lass. I know for certain that I am not the only one. As common as it is to be normal it is just as common to be weird.

I imagine there are those on the normal side and those on the weird side who are sure to argue that there are more of one than the other. Or that one is more important than another. Important to society and interpersonal relations.

Regardless of who is right -- it is a distinction that has been insisted upon by our environment. From childhood; to teenage land; to young adulthood; to adulthood; to older adulthood.

When I was small, I was an ugly little thing. Weird. I was quiet and introverted. Weird. Clinically depressed. Weird. As I grew, I listened to alternative music. Weird. Magenta hair. Weird. Thrift shop clothes. Weird. Dark clothes. Weird. Blue hair; purple hair; red hair. Weird. Glitter on my face. Weird. Dread locks. Weird. No drugs, no alcohol. Weird. Introspective, existential, questioning, spiritual, reading reading always reading. Weird.

Not weird to those who harbored similarities. I realized early on that there were a million who looked just like me. Who knows; perhaps thought like me as well.

As an adult I am still referred to as weird every now and again. Often it is offered as a compliment. I never think much of it. I never consider it to be a compliment nor an insult.

It wasn't until recently when I spotted a magazine cover featuring yet another indie darling, that I took pause. I respect and admire the woman featured on this magazine, however, I rolled my eyes at the tagline. Why she considers weird to be a compliment.

Still? This woman is the same age as I. I suppose I figured that the weird crowd which she apparently belongs to, must have come to terms with the fact that weirdness doesn't define us anymore. At a certain age, we shouldn't need it to. I've come to understand that weird or different is pretty much anything that is not considered to be mainstream. If we are far different from most forms of different, I believe that knowledge should be sufficient and needn't be dwelled upon.

When I was younger, I got to a point where I didn't want to be normal. Normal seemed oppressive. Weird felt like home. But now, I don't find weird to be a good thing or a bad thing. I grew out of that head space. Being weird doesn't make me special. It doesn't make you special either. As I said earlier; there's a whole lot of weirdness in the world. We are not superior, we are not inferior.

If we enjoy who we are and what we do; that is to be celebrated. Whatever makes us unique is positive. But of course there is that age old question. What about ourselves is truly unique? Anything? Whatever the answer, we certainly must own our preferences. We are drawn to -- people, music, words, art, books, film, dance, giving, taking, growth, spiritualities -- that draw us closer to ourselves. 

Why not just leave it up to things we have in common and things we do not? What makes us feel comfortable and what doesn't. What challenges us in a manner in which we would like to explore -- or maybe not. Let us contribute to our world in a way that suits us, be it weird or not.

If you want to call me weird; do it. I won't take offense -- and I won't think it cool.

Does that make me weird?

No comments:

Post a Comment