Saturday, May 12, 2012

Adventures with Mimi's and Eating Gluten Free





















 (source)

Mimi's Cafe is French Restaurant chain that offers a gluten free omelet which I enjoy. Well, "offers" is questionable. It's technically on their allergen menu but it's not listed on their general menu.

First let me explain that I do not have Celiac Disease, an allergy to gluten and as far as I know I am not gluten sensitive. The reasons I take out gluten from my diet is to enhance my mental and physical health. I've been gluten free for quite a while. It's a hard diet to follow but it's become easier with time and creativity.

I've been doing it right by avoiding carbs and sugars which are loaded in gluten free breads and breaded desserts. When done improperly, one can gain weight on a gluten free diet. When executed with care, one can lose weight or maintain.

The first time I purchased this particular omelet at Mimi's, I had no problems getting what I wanted. I ordered an omelet with broccoli, sausage and cheese. Admittedly not the healthiest of options. The omelet came with potatoes on the side, juice and a muffin. I nixed the muffin of course.

Much time had passed before I decided to order this omelet again. This time around it was a huge struggle. The patient server had a difficult time getting my order right and was visibly nervous and uncomfortable. He said he wanted to make certain that I was getting the right order. He said so in such a way that lead me to believe that he feared I'd spontaneously combust if I were to eat gluten.

I appreciated that he took care to make sure I was served something that he presumed would cause an allergic reaction. I tried to comfort him with kindness and a good tip. When he presented me with my order it was the wrong omelet. He apologized, gave me the egg white omelet (which was also gluten free) and a free strawberry lemonade.

Again much time had past before I ventured out that way again. I walked inside the restaurant feeling tense and apprehensive. I put in my order and when the server showed me my to-go purchase I saw that it was again the wrong order. I learned that what she had given me an omelet from their Fresh and Fit menu. The omelet consists of ham (which I HATE), broccoli and egg whites. It comes with a muffin, juice and a side of fruit.

It was later explained to me that because the omelet I asked for is not registered in their computer, they ring it up as a Fresh and Fit omelet. I understood this explanation but one would think that it'd be simple enough to write the specifics of what I ordered for the chef.

The server excused herself for her error and put in the order again. Being the foolish girl I was, I didn't check my order when it was finally complete. I drove home only to find that the order had not changed. The server put in another order for the same omelet! I was fuming.

Certainly it would have been easier to pick out the ham and eat what I got. It would have been a less caloric meal. I could have reframed the situation as the universe's way of offering me a healthier option which I knew would be better for me. Those thoughts were fleeting.

I power walked to my car and drove back. I was angry for the entire car ride and I wanted that server to know how wrong she was. Petty and a waste of energy.

The woman who had assisted me recognized me and greeted me with a gleeful, "Hi!" I told her that my order was wrong, while giving her a stern look.

The manager came out to speak to me. She apologized repeatedly which actually made me feel uncomfortable and guilty. She put in the correct order and I got my omelet for free. I knew that was what the end result would be but it didn't satisfy the fact that I had wasted a big portion of my day over an omelet.

I told myself that I would never eat there again. Not because I was so frustrated but because I knew it would be a big hassle if I were to make the same order.

Today, however, I had a hankering for my omelet. I'll refer to it as "MY"omelet now, being that it's not technically on their menu and I imagine no one else is ordering it.

I called in the order from the parking lot. Ridiculous I know, but I didn't want to stand at the to-go counter while the person taking my order fumbles over himself/herself fluttering from manager to manager, asking if this unholy omelet could be created for the pesky, picky woman.

I imagine in their eyes I had become the customer who orders a half caff, half decaf, cappuccino, with a splash of hot water, two Splendas and extra foam. Oddly specific, I know. That's my mother. But I refuse to believe that I've become my mother (shudder).

The server on the line did in fact put me on hold while she asked her supervisor if the chef could make me what I had ordered. When she got back to the phone she asked; "Is this___?" I couldn't believe that this person knew my name! I've been flagged in their system?? Incredibly embarrassing.

To kill time while my meal was being prepared, I grabbed myself a cherry blossom tea latte over ice at The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.

When I did head inside the restaurant the hostess recognized me immediately. THAT was embarrassing as well. I too recognized her though. She was the person who got my order wrong the last time I was there.

My order was correct this time and I was a happy camper. Well, happy and still embarrassed. I think I'm finally leaving Mimi's behind. More trouble than it's worth.

I'm not boycotting Mimi's Cafe by any means. They make good food and I have fond memories of some of the other dishes I consumed before I went gluten free.

But this is one of many pit stops along the road of gluten free living. Reading labels, calling in ahead at restaurants and emailing companies about ingredients, has become a part of my life. Oh the trials of eating gluten free. Hope my body is still thanking me.

No comments:

Post a Comment