Saturday, March 31, 2012

Featured Entrepreneur: Twinkie Chan Inc.

Twinkie Chan is an amazing talent. I continue to purchase her food themed scarves and I am delighted with each creation. I am happy to promote her work when I can. You'll find that I've posted quite a bit about her on this blog.






















Today is the first time I've posted a piece on her that was not written by myself. Check out the below article from Launch Grow Joy.

Featured Entrepreneur: Twinkie Chan Inc.

March 19, 2012 By
 
Want to be inspired by entrepreneurs who are doing something great? Then read on. Each day we feature new entrepreneurs who are passionate about their business and who are living their dream.
Today’s entrepreneur is Twinkie Chan of Twinkie Chan Inc.

When and why did you start your business?

I started my crochet business in 2005. I worked in publishing at the time, but I’d always had a love for crafting, particularly crocheting, and I started to crochet scarves for myself at night after work. Pretty soon, I was just making them for the sake of making them, and I wasn’t wearing all of them, so I decided on a whim to throw together a website to sell my goods. I had no idea what a positive response I would get! I tried for a few years to handle both my day job and my hobby, but my heart was more into crafting than anything. In 2009, I made the decision to devote myself full-time to my business. You only live once!

 

Describe your business in 20 words or less.

I design and crochet food-themed scarves and other cozy accessories inspired by snacks, Japanese street fashion, and your grandma!

 

What is your biggest success or accomplishment you’re most proud of in your business?

There are a few milestones I enjoyed, like being on the local news, or signing my first big partnership deal to mass produce my crocheted goodies and having a booth at the POOL tradeshow, but I think I was most proud of my book coming out last year, “Twinkie Chan’s Crocheted Goodies for Fashion Foodies: 20 Yummy Treats to Wear.” What made it really special was that my family and friends really supported me at book events, and it was like this tangible thing my parents could show and give to people that had their daughter all over it. I’m in this to make a living and to have fun, but I’m one of those people who still always wants to make her parents proud, and it felt really good to be able to share that experience with them.

 

What advice would you give other entrepreneurs when they are first starting out?

I super strongly believe that you should follow your passion, but also when starting a business, to also try to start your own trend rather than follow one. A unique perspective will help you and your business stand out, especially in the beginning.

I would also say: always follow your gut. There will be times that you’ll feel like a fish out of water and totally new to the game. You may not know all the industry standards. But I think it’s always valuable to follow your instincts. Even if everyone else is telling you you’re wrong, you’re the one who cares the most about your business. You put your heart in it, but everyone else just wants to make money off you. I would rather make a mistake because I was wrong, rather than feel powerless because I let someone else be wrong. Always be in the driver’s seat! And get a lawyer. :)

 

Where do you see your company in three years?

In 2010, I launched my mass-produced line “Yummy You! by Twinkie Chan,” and while it has sort of been a roller coaster, I really do hope to figure more out as I go and have more of my line in more stores. Since my work is meticulously handmade, wholesaling hasn’t really been an option for me since each piece takes so long to make. So my goal with the mass-produced line is to make my designs more affordable and more accessible. I’d also love to develop a DIY/craft supply line!

If you like this interview, Like Twinkie Chan on Facebook and follow her on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment