Saturday, January 21, 2012

Jay-Z goes poetic. The rapper is a new father and therefore vows to drop the word "bitch" from his lyrics.













(source)

Well, isn't this great. I feel better now. A bandaid to my boo-boo. Hopefully you're noting the sarcasm. Not all hip hop artists refer to women as "bitches"and "hos", but it's fair to say that a lot of mainstream artists do. Although, I'm more of a folk/punk/indie rock kind of gal, I enjoy a lot of underground hip hop.

I find it disappointing that Jay-Z has been a rapper who spews such hate filled lyrics. It's a shame because I believe that Mr. Z has flow. He often executes his lyrics with intelligence and swagger.Except of course, when he's rapping with rage towards women.

It's hard to know if Jay-Z truly believes that women are or can be bitches. Perhaps it's all for show. Either way, he embraces patriarchy. According to WENN, Jay-Z wrote a poem to express his recent thought  change -- in light of the recent birth of his daughter Ivy Blue Carter. According to The Huffington Post the poem many not have been written by Jay-Z but his people have not confirmed or denied it. The HuffPo reports that Slate has pointed out that so many of Jay-Z's fans find it hard to believe that he would actually abandon the word, being that it so many of his "bitch" ridden songs have boosted his fame. Yes, patriarchy can actually boost one's career. Slate points out that songs like 99 Problems, and Bitches & Sisters
are classic examples of how he has utilized the word bitch.

Below is the poem that is zipping across the internets.

"Before I got in the game, made a change, and got rich/I didn’t think hard about using the word bitch/I rapped, I flipped it, I sold it, I lived it/Now with my daughter in this world I curse those that give it"."No man will degrade her, or call her name. I'm so focused on your future, the degradation has passed. I wish you wealth, health and insight. Forever young you may pass. Blue Ivy Carter, my angel".

Better late than never doesn't quite fit. Jay-Z has embraced misogyny for many many years. Although, he has dropped the word "bitch", we do not know if he has truly reformed. We do not know if his mindset has changed or if he's simply eliminating the word "bitch." It strikes me as odd and unfortunate that he only decided to change once he had a daughter. What about when he entered a relationship with Beyonce Knowles? Why not stop then? Was there truly no motivation? Ultimately it is none of our business but I am speaking to the larger picture.

Change is possible. It is indeed possible for men to leave sexism behind. For those who decide to do so it is a work in progress. I am not unsympathetic to that. Each man embarks on his own journey. And often when a man decides to change the circumstances need to become personal in order for him to do so. The birth of Jay-Z's daughter is a perfect example.

I don't expect other rappers to follow suit. I'm confident that there are plenty of rappers that will glorify patriarchy, plaster it onto a CD and then charge you $18.99 for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment