Monday, December 19, 2011

Hamell On Trial and The Meeting

It was just recently that I posted about the rock force that is Hamell On Trial. To read my post and view videos, go to my post, Hamell On Trial and his Ed Hamell. As I mentioned in that post, it was eight years ago that I first witnessed the thunder that is Hamell On Trial aka Ed Hamell. I was attending an Ani Difranco concert and Hamell On Trial opened for her. I considered Hamell's music to be a raw form of folk but he gave himself the category of rock. It made sense. Just because a person doesn't use an electric guitar doesn't mean that rock n' roll does not exist. Hamell taught me that.

It was today that I learned that Hamell's journey is to be captured on documented film. "The Meeting" has yet to be released but I am waiting in anticipation. The film trailer excites me. Ani Difranco herself speaks about Hamell as well as some other surprising and delightful musicians. One of them includes Henry Rollins. I am always excited when Rollins gives his two cents about music. He's a great storyteller (as is evident by his spoken word shows) and a man who has much to say about almost any subject.

Without further ado, here is the trailer.


The Meeting - Documentary film Trailer

Intrigued?

I can't say that I am in favor of every song that comes from the rocket brain of Ed Hamell, but I think that's okay. Are we always on board with everything that comes from an artist of any kind?

Here's a sampling of Hamell's powerhouse


"The Meeting" by Hamell On Trial - Tacoma, WA - 12/9/11

How about a change of pace? Here Hamell sings a touching song entitled, "Hail." The song speaks to a couple individuals who died at the hands of hate crimes. Matthew Shepard and Brandon Teena.


"Hail" by Hamell On Trial - Tacoma, WA - 12/9/11

And lastly Hamell collaborating with Ani Difranco and Anais Mitchell.

 "Waiting for my Man" by Velvet Underground covered by Hamell On Trial - Ani Difranco on vibraphone, Anais Mitchell on vocals - at Paradiso 10-27-08.

Although, Hamell On Trial had been making music long before Ani Difranco got to him, it was Difranco who widen his audience. Hamell's music is in fact distributed from Ani Difranco's own record label, Righteous Babe Records.























For more information visit the official Hamell On Trial website, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment