Saturday, November 26, 2011

Kina Grannis, the Jellybean girl, refuses to give up artistic control

I believe it was last month that I posted about singer song writer Kina Grannis. If you don't remember here's a recap. She's the one who appeared in the jellybean video. A process that consisted of 22 months,1,357 hours, 30 people, 2 ladders, 1 still camera and 288,000 jelly beans.


In Your Arms - Kina Grannis

I've come to learn more about her and what is impressing me the most right now is not just her talent but the fact that she insists upon creative control over her music. This of course, is always a risk when you are trying to find a fan base and make money at what you love to do.




















(source)

Grannis is a 26 year old, Japanese American woman, born in Southern California. According to the UK website, Female First, Grannis taught herself to play the gee-tar at age 15. She self-released three EP’s while studying Social Science and Psychology at the University of Southern California.

On Grannis' current album release, Stairwells, she not only sings but plays the guitar, ukulele, piano and glockenspiel. It is a self funded album, which I find incredibly impressive.

Although, Grannis turned her back on the mainstream record deal, she is not without opportunities. In 2010 she headlined two Lilith Fair tours and her online supporters are growing by the day. I imagine the awesome jelly bean video has spread through the rumor mill. Sure, the girl can sing and play, but I don't doubt that the jellybeans helped her along as well.

Watch the below video, which explains the process of this video. It's a lot more complex than you think. 


The Making of "In Your Arms"

For more information on Kina Grannis, visit her official facebook page, here.

2 comments:

  1. Just watched the video! It is truly amazing! I can't even begin to imagine all the time and effort it took! I really like the song, it's very "organic", very pure. :) Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it! I wish I could partake in a project like this! I like how you describe it as organic. :)

    ReplyDelete