Sunday, September 18, 2011

She Says

She Says is a song off of Ani Difranco's 1991 album Not So Soft. I always feel lucky when I find either early footage of Ani Difranco or footage of Difranco playing some of her earlier works - songs that she doesn't always pull out on stage.

Here Difranco sings a song which I interpret as a song of fondness, fear and sadness. Fear of becoming close with someone for whatever reasons.

I think a lot of us listen to songs that we feel we can relate to and perhaps our take on the song is not anywhere near the author's true story. The beauty about music is that we can take what we can and use it for what we need.

In the past I have modified this song and have replaced "She says" with "He says." Now when I find myself singing it I sing the original lyrics. Songs can transcend gender and so many other things.



She Says - Ani Difranco -  live at the Veterans' Hall, Grass Valley, CA 4/9/11

she says forget what you have to do
pretend there is nothing
outside this room
and like an idea she came to me
but she came too late
or maybe too soon
i said please try not to love me
close your eyes, i'm turning on the light
you know i have no vacancy
and it's awfully cold outside tonight

the rain stains the brick a darker red
slowly i'm rolling out of her bed
the rain stains the streets a darker black
i dress my face in stone
because i can't go back

i feel her eyes watching me
from behind the curtain of her hair
and she says i'm sorry
i didn't mean to stare
i say i think i really have to go now
but oh baby, maybe someday
maybe somehow.
For more information on Ani Difranco visit her official website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment