Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Olympia, Washington's Rainy Day Records










From 2000 to 2002 I spent my Junior and Senior years of college at The Evergreen State College in the small town of Olympia, Washington.

I remember when buddies and I would take the bus to downtown Olympia and visit Rainy Day Records. It was nice visiting an indie record shop as so many have disappeared from my neck of the woods.

















I live in small town called San Pedro, which is within Los Angeles County in California. I recently came across a brief article about Rainy Day Record Co. and it brought back memories. So, here I am giving a little plug to the indie shop that could.


















The store was founded in 1973 and claims to be the largest retailer of cds and vinyl in Olympia. I wouldn't doubt it as Olympia is quite small. I often refer to Olympia as the San Pedro of Washington. The store is located in downtown Olympia. As I recall "downtown" was approximately a three block radius. I'm exaggerating a bit but it is pretty comparable to downtown San Pedro.

















The article I read from Living in Olympia referred to the store as "huge!". I giggled as the store is anything but. Then again Washington doesn't have an Amoeba Records. Check out the Amoeba site and you will find that the indie stores are not just stores but warehouses.

But I will say that there is a nice feel to a smaller store. It's homey.

The store sells new and used music and will also buy music from its customers. The store sells t-shirts, refurbished turn tables and skateboard decks.

For those who would like to visit the store is located on the corner of 5th and Franklin in Downtown Olympia. Visit the official website here.

I left my heart in Olympia. The next time I visit I will be making a stop at Rainy Day. Keep up the good work folks.

2 comments:

  1. My Grandma graduated from Evergreen in journalism! I spent a lot of time in Lacey growing up, where she had her house. I don't think I have ever been in this store, gotta check it out. Nothing compares to Amoeba Records though! When I lived in SoCal, we would spend hours there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Evergreen changed my life! I hope you're grandmother had a great experience there as well.

    I think I like Rainy Day as it brings forth nostalgia. I also like it as I appreciate indie stores in general. They are a dying breed. Music stores in general are dying.

    And yes Amoeba is the best! I often refer to it as heaven or nirvana. :)

    Where are you living now? I love Olympia and it will always have a piece of my heart. I appreciate overcast weather much more than I do the sun. Even so I know Southern California will always be my home.

    ReplyDelete