Monday, June 13, 2011

Why Aren't Men in Chocolate Ads?



Tonight I saw a commercial for Magnum Ice Cream Bars. I rolled my eyes, as the name Magnum immediately triggered the thought of Magnum condoms by Trojan Condoms. I figured that was the point. Magnum Condoms are marketed as being larger than average condoms in order to accommodate men with larger erections. Is it possible that this is a marketing ploy to link sex and chocolate together? It wouldn't be the first time.

I looked up information on the Magnum Ice Cream brand and according to Wikipedia, the brand originated in 1987. I have no idea if the word Magnum was intended to be a sexual innuendo when the brand was created.

It wasn't until tonight that I realized that I have never seen a man in a commercial ad for chocolate. Have you? Ever see a commercial ad for chocolate that didn't have a smooth talking woman describing the chocolate and eating it in a sexual fashion? I haven't. Perhaps they exist but not to my knowledge.

Is chocolate strictly a food for women? Of course not, but it seems that chocolate advertisements aim towards the female audience.



Sometimes I like to peruse a local Japanese market as I enjoy the candy. I often see Pocky marketed for men. What's the difference between regular Pocky and Men's Pocky? Apparently Men's Pocky is dark chocolate. I like dark chocolate. Can I eat Men's Pocky or do I have to stick to the chocolate designated for women?

Does anyone besides me see this as problematic?

Some of you may be thinking I need to chill out as after all it's only chocolate. But here's my concern. The media continuously tells us what is considered masculine and what is considered feminine. I don't like it when tv, magazines, radio, movies, etc etc insist upon what my sexuality should be made up of. Do you?

So, yes it's only chocolate; but it is added to the list of so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment