Saturday, April 9, 2011

Mom, why can't I get a job?

I'm a big fan of tattoos and it always disappoints me, saddens me and frustrates me that so many of us who want to sport tattoos can do so as long as we think strategically where we can place a tattoo and still be considered presentable to employers or to society as a whole.

In high school I dyed my hair various colors. Magenta, midnight blue, purple, red etc. I loved dying my hair but I knew it would be difficult to land a job with hair that wasn't brown, black, blonde or a natural red. I felt this was unfair that society was so limiting.

I struggled through various jobs fighting for what I wanted and eventually in my teens and through early college I worked at a Borders bookstore where my "weird" hair and later on my dreadlocks were not a problem. And you know what? I don't think sales declined because of my style or the style of others who also enjoyed dying their hair or wearing tattoos.

My mother has always thought that tattoos were a "fad" and that I would regret tattoos later in life. While this is a risk that everyone who gets a tattoo must face I do not believe that tattoos are a fad.

My mother sent me a forwarded email entitled "Mom Why Can't I Get A Job?" I've seen this posted on the internet at various sites. I think my mother's goal was to convince me that tattoos are a bad choice but really the email only reaffirmed how I feel about society and it's limits.

Although the below images depict tattoos and piercings that are too extravagant for me I find them interesting, a form of art, a bit freakish (but in an interesting way) and gutsy. I think it'd be great if we could live in a world where these styles could be acceptable in any job arena.


Ouch!


I think this is pretty


Pretty


This man has patience! I'm not sure how one would sleep comfortably with these rings


He looks like a bird


I see you!


Looks more like a clown rather than tribal


I'm impressed by everything except the alien horns


Some people keep their socks on when they make love. Do you think this guy keeps all this in his face when he does?

No comments:

Post a Comment