Sunday, April 17, 2011

AIR

Charles Manson did horrible things however he fascinates a lot of us. His history, behaviors, his mindset, and his influence have caused us to wonder and feel.

Manson had a passion for music and many of his songs have been recorded.

I own a couple of Charles Manson's albums.

Lie: The Love and Terror Cult (Recorded September 11, 1967 with overdubs added in 1968.Songs and improvisations recorded in jail in 1983.)


The Summer of Hate – The '67 Sessions (CD, Lupo Records, May 7, 2007, 18 additional tracks to Lie, also recorded 11 September 1967)



In 2010 a new album of Manson's music was released entitled "Air". The series is based on Manson's "personal environmental philosophy" called "ATWA", which stands for Air, Trees, Water and Animals. Each of the four albums are named after each element. They will be released from Magic Bullet Records.



Air:

1. "The Moon"

2. "Brother Gun"

3. "Bird"

4. "Gas Chamber"

5. "World Perspectives"

6. "Hobo Poem"

7. "East Bound Train"

8. "Air is the King"



"Our world is build on water and air. Our foundation is on the water, the air, the trees and the animals. Ecology, ecology, ecology is God, for without it we are dead forever - no life on Earth."
~Charles Manson

Air, is the first in the series. The album features previously unheard and authorized Manson songs. The album includes exclusive paintings from Manson.


The album features songs that are very unpolished and do not seem to be rehearsed. The recording is grainy and Manson is often off key.

Some of Manson's music is very bad but not all. There are pieces that I enjoy very much. He is a storyteller in his own right and I am a sucker for a good storyteller.



According to Lineout Magic Bullet Records owner Brent Eyestone has stated,
"I realize that most people won't ever make the effort to do this and will always lump the most notorious and popular criminals in the same category… If Charlie made a record about eating mashed potatoes, I wouldn't try to suppress the fact that I eat and enjoy mashed potatoes. ATWA is essentially ecology to a tee. There's no hidden context and no subversive theme to it whatsoever. So there's no reason for me to distance myself from the phrase ‘ATWA’ or avoid giving it credibility. I think Manson's passion toward ecology is a passion we should all have whether he endorses it or not. To put it in terms that a judgmental society at large can comprehend: if Charles Manson understands the value of protecting our natural resources, why can't you?”

Manson was indeed ill and indeed a hypocrite. Killing our mother earth is harmful but influencing others to kill human beings isn't?

I admit that one of the reasons I am interesting in Manson's music is because of who he is. I of course do not applaud his evil doings however he is someone who ignites curiosity. If I had heard Manson's music and didn't know who he was I wouldn't be paying AS much attention to his music. I listen to his music because I find it interesting to be witness to a side of Manson that is quite humane. Who would have thought that such qualities could exist within him?

No comments:

Post a Comment