Saturday, March 26, 2011

"If You Don't Stand For Something You'll Fall For Anything"

Lately I have been seeing previews for the film Sucker Punch. It seemed like a film I would not be interested in but after seeing the preview so many times I became curious. Originally, I was turned off as the theatrical trailer revealed a young blonde in a school girl outfit. Young blonde in skimpy clothes kicking ass? It's been done. Not to mention the concept is quite sexist. So, why would I, a feminist see a flick like this? I guess I was just too damn curious.



After seeing the preview in theaters so many times I became interested in the cinematography. There was a greyish hue to the film and a sense of drear and mystery that captured my attention.

After seeing the film I understood why the main character was wearing a midriff. It is in sync with the storyline. Does this mean that the creators thought that girls wearing revealing clothing would not draw in an audience? Not likely. So, yes I am conflicted. I will admit however, that I really did enjoy the movie.

(Oh a side note. Even though I don't wear makeup myself I gotta say I loved the eye make up these girls and the other female members were wearing. Very creative and pretty.)


Sucker Punch Trailer

Ok, so now I'm getting to the point of this blog post. In the film one of the charaters says to the girls in this film,

"If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything"


I've been searching for a good quote to tattoo on my upper inner right arm. I've found some good quotes so far and I am adding this one to the list of contenders. Beautiful and profound isn't it? When I heard it I kept thinking about it. After the movie I kept thinking about it and how it applies to my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment