Thursday, January 27, 2011

Ryan Gosling's Feminist Statement

The film Blue Valentine has received a lot of buzz not only due to the impressive acting skills of Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams but also because there is a scene where Gosling's character performs oral sex on his wife. The film initially received a NC-17 rating but was later changed to R.

I found it strange that there was so much drama surrounding the film's content being that another film released this year, Black Swan also revealed an oral sex scene between Natalie Portman's character and Mila Kunis's character.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've read similar sentiments on various websites. It is my belief that the sex involved in Blue Valentine was much more complex being that it was between a couple who's marriage is on the rocks. The sex was definitely not what we are used to seeing in most flicks.


(source)

I recently came across a quote in which Gosling speaks about a patriarchal culture and it's connection to cinema.

"You have to question a cinematic culture which preaches artistic expression, and yet would support a decision that is clearly a product of a patriarchy-dominant society, which tries to control how women are depicted on screen. The MPAA is okay supporting scenes that portray women in scenarios of sexual torture and violence for entertainment purposes, but they are trying to force us to look away from a scene that shows a woman in a sexual scenario, which is both complicit and complex. It’s misogynistic in nature to try and control a woman’s sexual presentation of self. I consider this an issue that is bigger than this film."

I've come to learn that there are many feminist website that are posting this very quote. Some websites I've encountered are raving about Gosling's statement and are happily shouting from the roof tops that Gosling is a feminist. I think that is a little presumptuous. Gosling's statement is definitely feminist in nature however we as an audience have no idea as to whether or not Gosling labels himself a feminist. One can only hope. I say this because I think it is healthy and beneficial for anyone to harbor feminist ideas.

I've also come to find that some websites are singing Gosling's praises not just because he made a feminist statement but because he is considered by many to be attractive. So, when an attractive male spouts feminism he becomes more attractive in the eyes of some women. I myself find Gosling to be a handsome man. In interviews I've seen he appears to be quite kind, genuine, witty, humorous, and intelligent (of course interviews only give the audience a glimpse into what may be the individual's actual personality) person. I admire his work with socio-political issues and I am impressed by the fact that his films are often introspective and thought provoking. Even so I think us admirers must keep in mind that while Gosling may have great appeal it is better to think of his words as helpful and inspirational rather than getting wrapped up in thinking...finally a good one! Let's not romanticize Gosling to the point that his words are devalued and overshadowed. Lets give him a little more respect by not getting too carried away.


No comments:

Post a Comment