Sunday, December 26, 2010

they're there even though you don't see them


mondolithic.com


I need you to recognize my friends
cuz they're there even though you don't see them
They got their own chair, a plate, and a seat
You know I won't touch my food unless they eat
~"I'm a Child" by Devendra Banhart

I was listening to this great song called "I Feel Like a Child" by Devendra Banhart. The above quote struck me as quite whimsical as children often let there imaginations fly without filter. It seems that as we grow older we don't quite remember what it was to be a child. And I think it's very fair when kids and teens look into the faces of their parents and say, "You don't understand." I often told myself that I hope I do not forget what it was like to be a child or a teen. Although, we cannot fully remember what it was like I think it's important to know that we all want to be understood in some way, no matter what age we have reached.

Being that I am a psychiatric social worker I couldn't help but also relate the lyrics to interactions I've had with patients. I work with adults who experience mental illness and many experience Schizophrenia.

I found the above image at a website called Monolithic Studios. The title of the post is "Schizophrenia". It was a reminder that I will never quite understand what it's like to have voices in my head. To have friends or enemies that keep me company everywhere I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment