Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Calvin Klein sexist advertisement asks, "Do you want to see my dick?"

I've learned that there is a Calvin Klein commercial floating around in which muscular men in Calvin Klein underwear are posing the question, "Do you want to see my dick?" In addition to the commercial the printed version is being displayed in "mens magazines".



The ad suggests not only that the audience should be attracted to men of this physical type but it also exploits men. I do not appreciate sexism no matter which gender it's aimed towards. So, while many of my posts may focus on sexists attitudes towards women, I also take issue with sexist attitudes towards men.

It is my view that throughout history the phallus has been praised and esteemed beyond reasonable measure. I believe that there is a distinct difference between accepting and embracing one's penis as another beautiful, humble, vulnerable, silly, body part and viewing it as a God like object.

Unfortunately, in our culture the penis is often viewed by women and men alike as a power symbol or tool. Men often link their self-esteem to the size of their penises and may even express a certain level of machismo depending on their penis size.

To ask, "Do you want to see my dick?" in such a cocky (no pun intended) attitude is to assume that women and men alike are in a state of willingness or eagerness.

It is no secret that sex sells, nor is it a secret that advertising companies will beat the dead horse until they can bring it to life again. But let us not become so accustomed to the exploitation that we ignore it or celebrate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment