Friday, February 12, 2010

League of Women Voters turns 90...Valentine's Day can take a hike

February 14th is recognized by many as Valentine's Day. I personally refer to it as Hallmark's Day as I find it to be an incredibly commercialized holiday. So, as so many around me look forward to the candy hearts and roses I have simply considered it an ordinary day.

When I left work today several of my co-workers wished me a Happy Valentine's Day which left me feeling a bit awkward. I offered a polite "you too" here and there however I'm sure my lack of excitement was evident.

While I do not find anything special or sacred about Valentine's Day, February 14th does not go without value for me.

This February 14th marks the 90th birthday or anniversary of the League of Women Voters.



From the League of Women Voters website.

Ninety years ago, Carrie Chapman Catt first proposed a League of Women Voters to “finish the fight” and work to end all discrimination against women. And so the League of Women Voters was founded on Valentine’s Day in 1920, six months before the ratification of the 19th Amendment giving women the right to vote.

Today, we remain a grassroots organization with more than 150,000 members and supporters and 850 Leagues throughout all 50 states. Though the League is known widely for our voter education efforts, we’ve also brought our expertise to critical issues such as health care reform, global climate change and many others.

As we enter into a new year, we know that the League will continue to do what it has been trusted to do for more than 90 years:

* Discuss the important issues;
* Ask the difficult questions;
* and Demand accountability from our government.

And every one of our critical 2010 initiatives will give citizens a greater voice – in the upcoming census, the 2010 elections, the next round of redistricting and more.

The League of Women Voters is the organization where hands-on work to safeguard democracy leads to civic improvement, and this year, on our 90th Anniversary, we hope you will stand with us in this work.

To find them on facebook click here.

Happy League of Women Voters Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment