Monday, February 1, 2010

Gaga's great Grammy garments

Ok, I admit that the title of this blog is stupid but that's okay.

Last night was the 2010 Grammy Awards and the first performance of the evening was Lady Gaga. In a previous blog entitled Warming Up To Lady Gaga I mentioned how initially I was not a fan of the Gaga. I pegged her as a generic pop singer. Although, there are still some of her songs I find too generic and manufactured I do enjoy her avant garde and performance art style of dress and dance.

The contrast of pop and performance art is one that is at times difficult for me to grasp. I suppose that's the challenge and part of the frustration and dare I say fun.


Elton John and Lady Gaga

Here Lady Gaga sung a medley with Elton John. On top of the pianos were sculptures of outstretched arms with claw formed hands. I assume that they were meant to represent the clawing movement that Lady Gaga often makes in her performances.



In the performance Lady Gaga falls through a stage piece resembling a factory pipe. Lady Gaga is then revealed playing the piano covered in soot. Elton John is also covered in soot as he plays with her.


Lady Gaga feat. Elton John - Grammys 2010


The duo performed swimmingly and it was also a very endearing atmosphere as the two collaborated.



On the red carpet Lady Gaga wears what I call "The Orbit Dress." I'm curious as to how comfortable she was in this dress. I loved the yellow hair which I think was actually attached to a flesh toned hood.



The shoes did not have heels so I'm not sure if Gaga had enough support as she walked. She also carried a bright star along with her as a prop.



At a certain point, Lady Gaga changed clothes again and this time into a glittery silver iceberg type dress, jacket and headdress.



I imagine it must have been difficult to get a good view of the stage when sitting behind this amazing headdress.

Here Gaga is carrying a vintage tea cup. I've heard her say that she is finding the tea cup to be nice piece of imagery. I agree however it feels a bit forced. Being that I love tea and am beginning to collect vintage tea cups myself, I won't complain too much. I too find it to be a nice image.



I've said it before and I maintain that I am oh so jealous that one miss Lady Gaga gets to experiment with movement in such interesting fabrics and interestingly shaped garments.

No comments:

Post a Comment