Sunday, January 24, 2010

looking in

Does enlightenment always have to equate to looking outside?


(source)

I'm not sure if it is due to my introverted personality but I often enjoy looking into windows rather than out of them.

When driving, particularly at night I enjoy driving through neighborhoods and peeking inside windows. It's amazing how much one can see from a road's distance. Light inside windows brings such a contrast from the darkness of the night. It illuminates the insides of a home.

Last night I drove past apartment complexes, and cozy homes that revealed, artwork, furniture, and floor lamps. I caught glimpses of people interacting, walking about and smiling.

My small city offers interesting layouts to explore. It's nights like last night that I realize that I don't take advantage as often as I ought.

I know that when I'm working at my desk during the work week or when I'm at home enjoying a peaceful book I find myself grateful for windows to glance out of every now and then. It helps to be able to glimpse at the outside. Reminds you that it's still there. But there is something all together mysterious about a taunting window. It offers up a question of what is or what might be. Lives living.

As I drive past faces I will more than likely never see again, I find myself briefly inquisitive about what their life may consist of. Are they happy? Are they sad? What are their goals? What do they strive for?

There are so many of us on this earth and we are all attempting to make homes for ourselves and lives for ourselves. If we are lucky we have a place to rest our head at night.

If you ask me..sometimes looking in is so much more interesting than looking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment