Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Favorite 80s female cartoon characters get a bad makeover

As a child I had a very brief stint with Barbie but soon grew tired of her. Even as a young girl I understood how unrealistic she appeared.

I also remember Barbie dolls being difficult to maneuver in terms of moving the legs to make the doll mimic walking. When the legs were moved back and forth Barbie's torso would began bending backwards.

Eventually I did away with Barbie and found other dolls that were more worth my while. I fell in love with She-Ra and Rainbow Bright most especially.



Rainbow Bright has been made over in recent years and I've got to say I don't see the improvement. Today's Rainbow Bright is older, taller, thinner and sports a modified outfit.



Remember Strawberry Shortcake? Well, she's been altered too. Her hair is longer, less curly and she is no longer wearing a dress.

I do understand that as decades pass, times change. But I wonder what would have happened if these characters remained the same. Would the financial gain truly drop for these toy companies?

Rainbow Bright and Strawberry Shortcake were not overweight characters however I suppose they could be considered heavy by today's standards and superficial pressures.

The cartoon characters I loved as a child were very much secure in their own animated skins.


(source)

She-Ra Princes of Power was strong enough to fight the dark forces along side He-Man.


(source)

I wish I still had my She-Ra doll!


(source)

Jem and the Holograms was one of my favorite animated shows as a child.



While I enjoyed Jem's honest and do good nature I loved the style of their rivals The Misfits much more.


(source)

Jem and company were independent go getters and I think much more relateable than many of today's characters.



Even today's Dora the Explorer, a newer character than Rainbow Bright and her ilk, has received an unnecessary make over.



Friends of mine who have children of their own have clued me into how popular Dora is. Friends of mine who are in the teaching field have shared stories of how their young students love her. Why the make over? What such a DRASTIC make over?

My complaints are not simply due to nostalgic reminiscence of how these fun characters used to be. I am just so disappointed in the fact that so many seem to think that even cartoon characters need to lose weight, and appear more sophisticated.

I do not think that the "new and improved" versions are overly skinny but I can't help but think that the toy companies are viewing the old versions as "not good enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment