Sunday, December 13, 2009

True Life presents: "I Have Schizophrenia"

There's not a whole lot of positive things I can say about MTV these days. It's mostly a "spring break" mentality station that no longer plays music videos. However, I do enjoy their True Life series which documents various individuals and their stories

This episode aired in 2008 and I just came across it as I was looking for videos on the topic of mental illness.

I work as a psychiatric social worker and the issue of mental illness is of great importance to me as I admire and care for the patients I work with.



MTV True Life: "I Have Schizophrenia"
Josh, Amber and Ben as they try and lead normal lives despite being diagnosed schizophrenia.

There are varying degrees of mental illness just like there are varying degrees of anything else. The individuals here are pretty high functioning compared to many of the individuals I have worked with.

To find resources for Schizophrenia:

NAMI (National Alliance On Mental Illness)

NIMH
(National Institute of Mental Health)

No comments:

Post a Comment