Saturday, December 19, 2009

This Saturday's Trip to the Japanese Market

I've mentioned that lately I've been posting about my interest in finding new Japanese treats.

Last week I picked up some Kirin Afternoon Tea at my local Japanese market.


(From flickr user WoJiaoWuWei)

As I was searching the internet for photos and came across the above photos from flickr user Wo Jiao Wu Wei.

The tea on the far left I have yet to see. Last week I tasted the one on the far right. According to Wo Jiao We Wei, the one on the right with the blue wrapper is the lite version. I just purchased this one today as the more caloric version (and I did not know that it was more caloric at the time) was not available.

I will be searching for the #1 tea in the photo as according to Wo Jaio Wu Wei the milk tastes fresher and creamier. The other two have a floral taste which I suppose is emphasized as to taste like tea.



A couple of weeks ago I had purchased peach flavor Calpico which is a non-carbonated soda drink. This week I went for Lychee.

For those of you who are not familiar with Lychee fruit it is a tropical fruit found in China, India, Madagascar, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, the Phillippines, Southern Africa and Mexico.


(source)

When they are peeled the fruit has wet webby like texture.


(source)

The fruit is quite sweet.


(source)

Calpico is a brand that distributes other food items. I had been seeing these waffle biscuits for some time now and I decided to give them a go. They are in the shape of ice cream cones and come in vanilla, strawberry and chocolate flavors. They are nothing special but they're cute and kind of fun to eat.


(source)

There are different types of Ramune soda. I came across B-09 Strawberry flavored Ramune soda. Ramune is known for the design of its bottle. The codd neck bottles are made of glass and sealed with a marble. To open the bottle, a plastic piece that pushes the marble inward. The plastic piece is provided with the bottle. The marble is pushed inside the neck of the bottle and causes the soda to fizz inside. The marble is caught in the middle of the drink where it rattles around while drinking.


(source)

I also purchased Milk Coffee by Sangaria.



I also purchased some Azuki bean wheat cakes. The first time I was introduced to these tasty pastries was in college. A Japanese exhange student accompanied a friend and I to a Japanese Market. He purchased these and recommended them highly. A year later I came across them and decided to give them ago. Nummy! Sweet wheat bread with sweet azuki red bean in the middle.


(source)

Kinako ohagi is a Japanese treat made of sweet rice and azuki bean, covered with a soybean powder. This Kit Kat has the traditional chocolate-covered wafer but with a kinako ohagi flavor after every bite.

I'd say overall this was a successful trip to the Japanese market. Surely there are many more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment