Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Are diamonds really a girl's best friend? Jewelry companies tell us that manipulating a woman with diamonds is admirable

I found this image from Sociological Images and it is right in keeping with a topic I've been thinking about recently.



I don't know if it is because it seems like so many around me are engaged or getting married lately but more and more I've been noticing jewelry advertisements.

It really bothers me that jewelry is often promoted as a way to get into a woman's pants or heart. Of course advertisements never include the gay community and that is insulting enough. But as far as us straight folks...is jewelry really the way to gain points with a woman? And why on earth should that be the goal?

This billboard and commercials and other ads like this are sending the message that manipulating a woman is admirable.

On a separate note I'd like to mention that even thought diamonds maybe pretty and sparkly, most are "blood diamonds". It is possible to purchase conflict free diamonds. For more information go to ConflictFreeDiamonds.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment