Saturday, November 21, 2009

a diner is like a temple


By Stephen St. John

What is it about diners? I really do love diners and find that I love photos of them. It seems that diner themed artwork is quite common. The image of silverware on the table, coffee next to the condiments.

I understand that my love for diners is nothing unique but it is nice to have.

I think that diners are not only cozy but quite calming. Diners, cafes, grills, cute little eateries. Only once in my life have I eaten at a diner alone. I was 21 and attending college in Olympia, Washington.

While I do a yummy meal in a cozy diner with a friend I remember how wonderful it was to in an aesthetically appealing environment while reading the paper and listening to the backdrop of rain. Even though I have always considered myself an introspective person it seemed that I found a new place to reflect.

Even though my brain trots along all day there are certain areas that seem to be quite meditative. Showers, my bed at night, and certainly a diner. I think I'm going to have to make a trip out to a breakfast eatery soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment