Friday, October 30, 2009

Why is it that white people freak out when a person of color does not live up to a stereotype? But is it just whites?

Giving props to Stuff White People Do for posting about this first. The blog author used a video clip featuring Wanda Sykes to illustrate the fact that there are so many non-people of color who get their chonies up in a bunch when a black person does not live up to a stereotype.


(source)
Wanda Sykes

Well, I would like to add that I think this isn't an issue that is only particular to white folks. I think that people of color discriminate against other people of color as well. Whether it's black against black or Mexican against black etc. It goes on and on.

The assumption is that if a person does not live up to the particular stereotype assigned to them then, they must be "covering up" or behaving differently than they would in private.

The below video shows comedian Wanda Sykes in a recent HBO appearance. Here, Sykes touches upon the fact that so many feel uncomfortable or confused or suspicious of those who do not live up to a certain boxed in stereotype.


Wanda Sykes - HBO special "I'ma be me" on October 10, 2009 - "The Real Michelle Obama"

Come on America. Really? So, if the first lady doesn't "act black" then she must be "acting white?" (Yes, "act black" and "acting white" are words that I chose however I am basing them on statements I've heard). Another say it ain't so moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment