Saturday, October 10, 2009

What is over the rainbow? Where will it take me?

I posted a blog on Over the Rainbow themed cupcakes by Bite Size Baker. From this post I decided to see what else I could find that has to do with that theme. Why? Well, I listened to Judy Garland's rendition of Over the Rainbow and it sparked something in me. It's a hopeful song and of course beautiful but when I hear it I am often filled with a sense of sadness.



What do you feel when you hear the song?



It is one that has certainly inspired others to cover it.


Tori Amos - Somewhere Over the Rainbow (1996)

Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole aka IZ - Somewhere Over the Rainbow


Jason Castro - Somewhere Over The Rainbow - American Idol Top 8
(I don't watch American Idol so I wasn't aware of this cute boy with lovely dreads. He does a good job. It seems to be IZ's version)

It seems that many other artists have been inspired in their own way with the theme.


Somewhere Over the Rainbow by
Pacita Abad (2001)
Oil, Painted Fabric Stitched on Canvas


By BritCandy


Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Postcard by FATMA


Photography - Ice Clouds Over Idaho, Circumhorizontal Arc, "Rainbow Fire",
National Geographic June 2006


Photography - Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Fox on Flickr



(source)


Somewhere Over the Rainbow By Pinkdressdoll


(nacedesign.com)

Somewhere Over the Rainbow



Photography by Flickr user
Slavin
:) by Slavin@ (I'm back).
From Flickr user Slavin


Somewhere Over the Rainbow by
Geoff Diego (2008)

The touch by Slavin@ (I'm back).The Touch by Flickr user Slavin

There's a line from an Ani Difranco song called "Superhero" where she sings, "and every pop song on the radio is suddenly speaking to me."

Can't we all relate to this?

When songs we hear suddenly have meaning to us or have meaning in a whole new way?

This past week I lost a friend to suicide. All of a sudden Somewhere Over the Rainbow touches me differently. Just the melody alone conjures emotions. It's not always the lyrics alone that can move you. The lyrics however, are more of a toast to one day. A great hope.

When it feels that the world cannot understand sometimes you have to turn to a song..


Judy Garland singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Birds fly over the rainbow...
Why then, oh why can't I?

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your friend Jen. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for this song. The Wizard of Oz is my Dad's favorite movie so I have lots of family memories of it. But its true...its haunting. Its beautiful but sad and hopeful at the same time. I think it speaks to the universal feeling of longing for something more, somthing better in life. I can't listen to it without getting a lump in my throat or teary-eyed....dunno why. By the way, Katherine McPhee's version is also really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your condolences. I will check out Kathreine McPhee's version.

    I'm having a hard time coping. I think my friend has more to teach me even after his passing...as now I must learn about death. Yet another life lesson.

    ReplyDelete