Saturday, October 24, 2009

Still thinking about Utah Phillips



I found the above photo on the Utah Phillips blogspot. I am always excited when I hear or see anything mentioning or related to Utah Phillips. This is obviously graffiti that someone put up in memory of him.



I've posted about Utah in the past. He was a man of integrity and inspiration. I believe that Utah wanted us all to use our brains. To think, to ponder, to remember, to go forward. Utah died in May of 2008. He was folk singer, a poet, a story teller, a labor organizer, a promoter of Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) and unions and also a self-proclaimed anarchist.

While I did not agree with all of his views I agreed with most. And as a fan of folk music and storytelling...and of course folk music IS storytelling...this man had my strict attention.

Below is a poem from George Milburn's book, The Hobo's Hornbook. It can also be found in a lot of old I. W. W. pamphlets and literature. Utah recited this poem often at his shows. It talks about the bum on the rod and the bum on the plush, which essentially represents the kind of system we live in. The poem speak to the fact that we live in times that now a population of poor individuals. If so many are out of work there will always be people willing to work and settle for low wages.

The poem also speaks to the issue of bums or hobos who are considered to be parasites. Is this true? Are homeless individuals parasites? Perhaps it is possible..and I do believe that people need to take responsibility for themselves. However, I don't think that all bums, hobos, tramps etc choose to live a homeless life. And those who do often do so in protest of a hierarchical system.

The Two Bums

The bum on the rod is hunted down
As the enemy of mankind;
The other is driven around to his club
And feted, wined and dined.

And they who curse the bum on the rods
As the essence of all that is bad
Will greet the other with a winning smile
And extend him the hand so glad.

The bum on the rods is a social flea
Who gets an occasional bite;
The bum on the plush is a social leech,
Blood-sucking day and night.

The bum on the rods is a load so light
That his weight we scarcely feel,
But it takes the labor of dozens of men
To furnish the other a meal.

As long as you sanction the bum on the plush,
The other will always be there,
But rid yourself of the bum on the plush
And the other will disappear.

Then make an intelligent, organized kick,
Get rid of the weights that crush;
Don't worry about the bum on the rods,
Get rid of the bum on the plush!


Utah Phillips at the 2007 Spring Strawberry Music Festival - Reciting "The Two Bums" and singing "Hallelujah I'm a Bum"

Hallelujah I'm a Bum
The version published in 1908 goes:

Why don't you work like other folks do?
How the hell can I work when there's no work to do?

Refrain

Hallelujah I' a bum
Hallelujah, bum again,
Hallelujah, give us a handout
To revive us again.

Oh, why don't you save all the money you earn?
If I didn't eat, I'd have money to burn.

Whenever I get all the money I earn,
The boss will be broke, and to work he must turn.

Oh, I like my boss, he's a good friend of mine,
That's why I am starving out on the bread line.

When springtime it comes, oh, won't we have fun;
We'll throw off our jobs, and go on the bum.

No comments:

Post a Comment