Friday, October 23, 2009

Serena Williams gives in to exploitive media standards and poses nude for ESPN magazine



More often than not a man will grace the cover of a sports magazine. I know that Serena has posed for the covers of various magazines but what does her body have to do with her skill? Here she is on the cover of ESPN magazine and I don't see a tennis racket in hand. I see a woman attempting to appeal to men. So, here ESPN is celebrating a "body issue" and of course it is a perfect opportunity to exploit women just as so many other magazines do. They aren't covering new territory that's for sure. My question is...why is there a body issue to begin with?

For some reason I get the feeling that some women in sports feel that they are not as "feminine" (whatever that is) or as sexually appealing due to the fact that they are sports figures. I wonder if various sports organizations feel the same as it seems that uniforms for women in sports have become skimpier and skimpier.







I understand that these women need to wear unrestrictive clothing so that they can move freely. But isn't this ridiculous? Did less revealing uniforms inhibit performance?

I just don't understand why some women in sports feel that they need to show more of themselves either out on the field or in on the cover of magazines. It seems as if some feel that exposing themselves in ways that so many actresses, models and pop stars have will make them feel validated as sexual beings. I very much feel that that specific type of sexuality is a very narrow minded view. It is too confining. Yes, I think that posing nude or in risque poses is not only exploitative but boring and encapsulating.

My wish for these women is that they will one day learn that they are beautiful and sexual just the way that they are. That there is beauty and quite possibly freedom in their strength and skill. Since when do sports figures need to turn themselves into PlayBoy bunnies?

My dear Serena, please find beauty in who you are rather than what you think others want you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment