Monday, October 12, 2009

Kids vs Earth? Little Carbon Monsters or Little Darlings?

Just yesterday I posted about the choice to not have children aka to be childfree. I mentioned how it seems that many childfree websites I come across are not just attempting to decrease stigma against those who do not want children, but it also seems that some are quite eager to tell parents or parents to be that having children is wrong on various levels. This bothers me quite a bit.

I do not want children but I am not going to guilt another and suggest that they remain childfree.

Today Mother Jones Magazine posted an article about this very topic.

I have read several articles that share these sentiments. Researchers at Oregon State University report that each birthed child adds 10,407 tons of carbon dioxide to an average female’s carbon legacy which equates to 5.7 times her lifetime emissions, or an extra 470 years of life.

So, does this mean that individuals should refrain from having children? Are children now the enemy? Some Childfree websites have boldly suggested that individuals and couples forego any plans of having children. I'm sure this will send many in an uproar.

I would never discourage anyone from having children and there are plenty of other ways to go green.

No comments:

Post a Comment