Sunday, October 18, 2009

Birthday retiree since the age of 15 and still goin' strong

I've been thinking about birthdays. Mine and others. I turned 29 in May and I do not feel ready to be 29. I began reflecting on past birthdays. I stopped celebrating my birthday at the age of 14 or 15. I actually thought that I was old at the age of 15. I thought...okay...you turn 15 and that is practically kissing 16 which is the age that I can drive and then I'll hit 18 which makes me an adult. Before you know it I'll be 21 so I can drink...well I don't drink but I knew that was some kind of landmark for most people. And then you turn 30 and you're old and you die...
Heh. Ok, it doesn't quite work like that...and thank goodness cuz that means I'd be dead by next year. Lets hope that wont happen.



I've just been ruminating on the topic of birthdays in general. I'm not sure at what age I realized this, but I just don't feel comfortable throwing a celebration for myself. I think most birthday celebrations are not truly a celebration of life. In my humble opinion, birthdays are a mark of tradition. I do not oppose all traditions as I think they contribute to various cultures, however, I think it is important to pause and ask ourselves why we involve ourselves with certain ones.

I am not encouraging any of your to stop celebrating your birthdays or the birthdays of others. I am not attempting to deflate your birthday balloon. If you find meaning in these celebrations I think that is great.

I personally have never been comfortable when I am the center of attention and I not longer feel comfy throwing a soiree in celebration me. Nor do I feel comfortable with the expectation of presents.

There are many holidays that I have retired. And there are some that I have ignored all together like, Valentines Day aka "Hallmark Day" (in reference to Hallmark greeting cards) as I call it.

I am definitely a fan of showing love, affection and appreciation. I truly believe this can be done without waiting for the obligatory or expected holidays/celebrations. Why not plan a day..any day or even just a moment where we celebrate someone we love in our own way?



I think the mad hatter was onto something with his "un-birthday" celebrations.


(source)

Ya want cake? Eat cake! Or in my case cupcakes to feed my cupcake obsession.


(source)

I imagine to some of you out there my opinions are bumming you out. I can hear it now..."man, you're so negative!" Like I said, I am not attempting to burst anyone's birthday balloon but I just feel that birthdays don't make much sense anymore.

I never tell anyone when my birthday is unless they ask. If a person wishes me happy birthday I appreciate their acknowledgment.

I think it wouldn't hurt anyone to start appreciating ourselves and others in different ways. I think this might actually take some effort on our parts. Sometimes, I too, find myself acknowledging others on traditional holidays and celebrations. Birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas etc. But what's wrong with popping up at your friend's house with a cupcake and saying...hey, I just wanted to let you know I appreciate you? Or making a gift for your boyfriend, girlfriend, husband or wife and giving it to them randomly? That sounds a lot better to me!

Just some food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment