Thursday, October 22, 2009

Author of "Where the Wild Things Are" tells parents who feel the film adaptation is frightening to "go to hell!"


(source)

Maurice Sendak's popular 10 sentence childrens book, Where the Wild Things Are has been adapted into a movie.

I enjoyed the film however many reviews have stated that the film is not appropriate for children. Some reviews I've read have stated that the film is too boring for some children while others have stated that the film is too frightening.

In a recent Newsweek interview Sendak joined author Dave Eggers and director Spike Jones (who both were involved with the film) to speak about the film. Sendak was very blunt in his response to concerned parents who feel the film is too frightening for their kids.

Reporter: "What do you say to parents who think the Wild Things film may be too scary?"

Sendak: "I would tell them to go to hell. That's a question I will not tolerate."

Reporter: "Because kids can handle it?"

Sendak: "If they can't handle it, go home. Or wet your pants. Do whatever you like. But it's not a question that can be answered."

Jonze: "Dave, you want to field that one?"

Eggers: "The part about kids wetting their pants? Should kids wear diapers when they go to the movies? I think adults should wear diapers going to it, too. I think everyone should be prepared for any eventuality."

Sendak: "I think you're right. This concentration on kids being scared, as though we as adults can't be scared. Of course we're scared. I'm scared of watching a TV show about vampires. I can't fall asleep. It never stops. We're grown-ups; we know better, but we're afraid."

Reporter: "Why is that important in art?"

Sendak: "Because it's truth. You don't want to do something that's all terrifying. I saw the most horrendous movies that were unfit for child's eyes. So what? I managed to survive."

To be honest I'm not sure why Sendak is THIS upset. I am also not sure as to why some parents feel the film is too frightening. I think that most of the films and tv shows that many parents allow their children to see most likely consist of more frightening images.


Where the Wild Things Are - The Story (narrated by Peter Schickele)


Where the Wild Things Are - Movie Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment