Friday, October 23, 2009

American Idol Adam Lambert decides it's okay to exploit women



American Idol is a show that has never interested me but I am usually aware of who the winner of each season is as it is announced and covered like crazy over the news as it happens. All I knew about Adam Lambert was that he didn't win the last season of American Idol but was viewed as an Idol contestant with an "alternative" look and sound. I disagree. I personally think he appears quite common, but that's just me.

Just today I came to find that Lambert posed for a series of racy photos for Details magazine. What is Lambert attempting to accomplish here? Does this make him appear a bit more "manly" and less "gay"? In interviews Lambert has said that he didn't want to hide who he was and felt it was important to come out to the world. So, why is he posing here in Details magazine as someone who seems to enjoy the female form in an overtly sexual manner?

I chose not to post other photos from the shoot as it was so fowl I didn't want to display it. I will disclose that the photo featured Lambert holding a naked woman and pushing her breast against his cheek while he licks the thumb of the woman who is covering her breast with her hand...but of course it looks as though he is licking the woman's breast. Lambert is also squeezing this woman's bare bottom.

The photo above is the tame version. There is another with the woman completely nude with Lambert appearing eager to perform oral sex.

So, not only does this photos shoot seem to send the message that Lambert wants to seem less gay to certain audience members (perhaps he also wants to keep the fantasies of women going) but he has no problem exploiting women either.

You'd think that being that Lambert is a member of an oppressed group himself, he'd be more sensitive. Apparently, he would rather avoid feeling vulnerable as an open gay man and hide behind his privilege as a male. This makes me wonder how comfortable he really is with his choice to come out. There's no way of really knowing of course and really it's none of my business. If he really is insecure this does not make him a bad person. I just don't like that he is comfortable exploiting women in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment