Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Voices from Death Row

First I'd like to say that I am not in favor of the death penalty. I was not always so certain but I am at the point where I can say that it is inhumane.

Not all individuals sent to death are guilty and many are minorities. It is expensive and it stooping the level of a killer.

I'd like to say thank and give credit to Womanist Musings for providing an internet source that actually lists death row prisoners and their last words. The site is from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.


(source)

Here are just a few lives that have been lost...and the words they left behind..



(source)

Johnson, Johnny 02/12/2009: The Polunsky dungeon should be compared with the Death Row Community as existing not living. Why do I say this, the Death Row is full of isolated hearts and suppressed minds. We are filled with love looking for affection and a way to understand. I am a Death Row resident of the Polunsky dungeon. Why does my heart ache. We want pleasure love and satisfaction. It. The walls of darkness crushed in on me. Life without meaning is life without purpose. But the solace within the Polunsky dungeon, the unforgivesness within society, the church Pastors and Christians. It is terrifying. Does anyone care or who I am. Can you feel me people. The Polunsky dungeon is what I call the pit of hopelessness. The terrifying thing is the US is the only place, country that is the only civilized country that is free that says it will stop murder and enable justice. I ask each of you to lift up your voices to demand an end to the Death Penalty. If we live, we live to the Lord. If we die we die to the Lord. Christ rose again, in Jesus name. Bye Aunt Helen, Luise, Joanna and to all the rest of y’all. You may proceed Warden. (began singing)

Scheanette, Dale Devon February 10, 2009 : Is the mic on? My only statement is that no cases have ever tried have been error free. Those are my words. No cases are error free. You may proceed Warden.

Davis, Larry July 31, 2008 : Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted. It is finished.

Chamberlain, Karl June 11, 2008: I want you all to know, everyone with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. Thank you for being here today to honour Falicia Prechtl, whom I didn't even know. To celebrate my death. My death began on August 2, 1991 and continued when I began to see the beautiful and innocent life that I had taken. I am so terribly sorry. I wish I could die more than once to tell you how sorry I am. I have said in interviews, if you want to hurt me and choke me, that's how terrible I felt before this crime. I am sorry, it is her innocence and her life which began the remorse every since December 1, 1991. I have embraced life. Thank you for being a part of my life. I love you. May God be with us all. May God have mercy on us all. I am ready. Please do not hate anybody because.......(end of statement)

Pippin, Roy March 29, 2007: Yes sir, I charge the people of the jury. Trial Judge, the Prosecutor that cheated to get this conviction. I charge each and every one of you with the murder of an innocent man. All the way to the CCA, Federal Court, 5th Circuit and Supreme Court. You will answer to your Maker when God has found out that you executed an innocent man. May God have mercy on you.

My love to my son, my daughter, Nancy, Kathy, Randy, and my future grandchildren. I ask for forgiveness for all of the poison that I brought into the US, the country I love. Please forgive me for my sins. If my murder makes it easier for everyone else let the forgiveness please be a part of the healing. Go ahead Warden, murder me. Jesus take me home.

Charles Nealy March 20, 2007: The reason it took them so long is because they couldn't find a vein. You know how I hate needles - I used to stay in the Doctor's Office. Tell the guys on Death Row that I'm not wearing a diaper. I can't think of anything else. You all stay strong. Now you can put this all aside. Don't bury me in the prison cemetery. Bury me right beside momma. Don't bury me to the left of dad, bury me on the right side of mom.

Kim Schaeffer, you are a evil woman. You broke the law. The judges and courts helped you and you didn't have all the facts. When you look at the video, you know you can't see anyone. You overplayed your hand looking for something against me and to cover it up the State is killing me. I'm not mad or bitter though. I'm sad that you are stuck here and have to go through all of this. I am going somewhere better. My time is up. Let me get ready to make my transition. Doug, don't forget Marcy.

Christopher Wright October 30, 2008:
Yes I do. There has been a lot of confusion on who done this. I know you all want closure. Donna had her Christianity in tact when she died. She never went to a drug house. John Adams lied. He went to the police and told them a story. He made deals and sold stuff to keep from going to prison. I left the house, and I left him there. My only act or involvement was not telling on him. John Adams is the one that killed Donna Vick. I took a polygraph and passed. John Adams never volunteered to take one. I have done everything in my power. Donna Vick helped me; she took me off the street. I was a truck driver; my CDL was still active. Donna gave me everything I could ask for. I helped her around the yard. I helped her around the house. She asked if there were anyone else to help. I am a Christian myself, so I told her about John Adam. We picked him up at a dope house. I did not know he was a career criminal. When we got to the house he was jonesin for drugs. He has to go to Dallas. I was in the bathroom when he attacked. I am deaf in one ear and I thought the T.V. was up too loud. I ran in to the bedroom. By the time I came in, when I tried to help her, with first aid, it was too late. The veins were cut on her throat. He stabbed her in her heart, and that's what killed her. I told John Adams, "turn yourself in or hit the high road." I owed him a favor because he pulled someone off my back. I was in a fight downtown. Two or three days later he turned on me. I have done everything to prove my innocence. Before you is an innocent man. I love my famly. I'll be waiting on ya'll. I'm finished talking.

***
To anyone reading this, I encourage you to take a look at this website. Read their crimes, read their last statements and look into the faces of these individuals.

Are all those who insist that they are innocent, truly innocent? Doubtful. Are all death row prisoners remorseful? Probably not. Even so, I cannot support the death penalty as it is a system that is not always accurate.

I am aware than many supporters of the death penalty think that those who do not are crazy to show compassion to those who rape, kill and brutalize. However, it is not the crime that I sympathize with. I do not condone such evil. However, I do believe in rehabilitation. And if that is not an option for some, I think that prison is an adequate consequence. Yes, it costs money to fill prisons. It costs more to kill.

For those of you who haven't seen it, I recommend watching the film The Life of David Gale. It's a very powerful film starring Kevin Spacey and Kate Winslet. The film speaks to the issue of the death penalty.


The Life of David Gale - Trailer

I remember seeing this film in a movie theater with an old boyfriend. I will say that there is a scene that is difficult to watch. It is explicit but it also pulls at one's emotions. Tears welled up in my eyes and I distinctly remember my then boyfriend and I covering each other's eyes and holding each other in that moment.

I swore I would never watch this film again. Quite some time after the film was released I ended up purchasing the dvd. Why? Because the film provokes thought. The explicit scene doesn't strike me the way it did initially. Perhaps I am somewhat desensitized to it. Regardless the film is quite poignent.

There is a scene where actress Laura Linney plays a professor and activist agains the death penalty. Her character "Constance" gives a speech in which she says that once you sentence a person to death you also sentence yourself to bloodlust.

Imagine that you are a deathrow inmate who is scheduled to be executed. Imagine that you are innocent. Your choices are to die with fear and rage or to attempt to accept it and find some sort of peace. Imagine what that process must be like. Imagine giving a final statement and when finished...having to muster the courage to say "you may proceed warden."

No comments:

Post a Comment