Monday, September 14, 2009

A possibly fake "christian" website gathers angry readers

Yesterday I posted about a new phenomenon taking place in New York known as The Big Gay Ice Cream Truck. Professional bassoonist Doug Quint didn't have much to do while his orchestra was on break in the Summer so he decided to drive an ice cream truck. What makes it gay? Many ask this question. He says that he makes it gay as he himself is a gay man and is also very happy.

Well, he just posted an article from a conservative "christian" website which accuses Quint of attempting to turn children gay.

Quint mentions on his blog that he did some exploring and he can't quite decide whether the website is for real. I decided to do some looking around myself.

Quint didn't want to mention the website as he didn't want to create more traffic for the site. I will mention it here, as I would like to state that not all christians are as the ones who pretend to be on the site.

As a christian woman, I can quite easily say that the contributors to this site are not practicing christianity. I am sicked by the fact that they consider themselves to be spiritual people.


Christwire.org truly seems to be a bad joke. If it is indeed some kind of satire, I think that the contributors to the site have too much time on their hands. They are donating much time and effort to something that is not productive. I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish.

When I googled the site the first listing directs towards the website and beneath it, the second listing directs towards a particular post on the site entitled "I Am Extremely Terrified of Chinese People."

Most likely it is not coincidence that, that particular article pops up. I think the site wants to draw readers in that way. I must say, that it worked. I was so shocked and appauled that I wanted to read it.

A sample from that article reads..

"From the time it’s formed as a zygote, even every Chinese baby’s heart is innately filled with much hate for not only you, but your children as well. It’s a part of their cultural heritage to hate the good West."

After reading that I had enough. It was too ridiculous to even be offended by.

The site does have a section for hatemail. Most likely this is what they want. A waste of time and pretty pathetic to me.

Here is the main reason I am writing this post.
When I reviewed some of the responses to the posts, I was disappointed. Many responded with angry remarks that were neigther insightful nor constructive. Of course, some may not care about that but would rather release emotion. From what I read, it was a full fledged venting fest.

What concerns me is how many choose to respond when confronted with ignorance. If we chose to respond, it is my opinion that we must ask ourselves just what WE are trying to accomplish...even if we do not understand what the other is trying to accomplish. Do we want a dialogue or do we simply wish to be right? If we wish to be right, isn't that just more about ego?

If possible I think it's best not to give others power by allowing them to get the better of us. If we make the choice to respond with "fuck you" and other crude and empty insults...are we not simply stooping to the level of the ones we criticize?

No comments:

Post a Comment