Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Polyphonic Spree



Well, I figured it's about damn time that I post about one of my favorite bands, The Polyphonic Spree.


The Polyphonic Spree: Light & Day at Summer Sonic in Japan

How can you not feel uplifted after hearing this music?!




The Dallas, Texas band has described themselves as "choral symphonic rock." They consist of a 10 person choir, two keyboardists, a percussionist, drummer, basist, flautist, guitarist, trumpeter, violinist, trombonist, harpist, French horn player, thermin player, pedal steel player, and electronic effects person. The lead vocalist is Tim Delaughter formerly of Tripping Daisy.




I first saw the Spree prior to their 2002 debut release of "The beginning stages of...." I was able to witness the magic in a very small hollywood venue called The Derby. A very intimate setting indeed and I feel so fortunate that I was able to be a part of it.



In 2004 the group released "Together We're Heavy", "Wait" ep in 2006 and "The Fragile Army" in 2007.



According the their website there is a new album in process. Can't wait!


The Polyphonic Spree: "It's the sun" live at Cochella 2009

And yes I'm posting quite a few pictures of these peeps, but they are just so damn photogenic!



I am often impressed with their costumes, their sense of camaraderie and their positivity
. It's not often that we hear such enlightening themes in music today.



The Polyphonic Spree - "Hanging Around" into "2,000 Places" - Live from Austin Texas

I remember prior, to my first experience of the Spree I read an article in the LA Weekly about them. The article mentioned that they are not a cult. I thought that was humorous but I wasn't compeletely sure what they meant. When I saw the Spree for the first time I knew. They are so damn happy and after you hear them once live, you want to join!

These guys and gals certainly help me out when I'm having a bad day. I highly recommend this group. If you're feeling down put on some Bob Marley or The Polyphonic Spree!


For more info...

Myspace page


Official website


Blog


Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment