Saturday, August 22, 2009

Will Shuter Island stigmatize the mentally ill?

Shutter Island the movie is scheduled to be released in theaters October 2nd of this month. The film is based off of novelist Dennis Lehane's book of the same name.

The story takes place in 1954 on Shutter Island on which resides a psychiatric hospital for the "criminally insane" called Ashecliffe. Two U.S. Deputy Marshals investigate the disappearance of a patient, Rachel Solando, who had committed multiple murders. It is not understood how or where she could escape to as there is no where to hide on the island. As the marshals continue their investigation they find that the hospital doctors and staff engage in cruel practicies.

The Martin Scorsese directed film concerns me for one reason. I worry that the film portrays mentally individuals in a exaggerated and stereotypical light.


Shutter Island - Trailer

Being that I have a history of working with mentally individuals in outpatient and inpatient settings I can tell you that they are my heroes. They are such troopers and it bothers me greatly when they are placed into a false category. A category of monstrous images and personalities and of evil and fright.

Is it possible for those who are severely and persistently mentally ill to behave in ways that cause alarm? Certainly. However, they are not monsters...they are sick. They are not crazy...they are sick. And they are incapable...they are sick.

I strongly advocate health, wellness and quality of life for mentally ill individuals and use any opportunity I can do dismiss the stigma they do not deserve.

I have yet to see this film, so I am aware of how specifically the hospital patients will be portrayed. However, I can only hope that Scorsese does not promote any untruths.

No comments:

Post a Comment