Saturday, August 22, 2009

There is no such thing as crazy, but mental illness exists

In my experience as a social worker I have have the pleasure of working with adults that experience mental illnesses. I am very much an advocate of mentally ill individuals, young and old.

For this post I am focusing on schizophrenia, although there are many other illnesses that exist. I am focusing on schizophrenia for this particular post because I think it is individuals who experience it that are often exploits for movies, books and many forms of media.

My hope is that these videos will open some eyes and hopefully decrease the stigma that so many mentally ill individuals face on a daily basis.


20/20 - Schizophrenia PART 1


20/20 - Schizophrenia PART 2



Case Study: Schizophrenia - Gerald, Part 1




Case Study: Schizophrenia - Gerald, Part 2

There are varying degrees of severity in schizophrenia but many are able to function despite the obstacles. Ever see the film A Beautiful Mind? There is a great example.

Here I am going to give attention to Elyn Saks who is a professor of law at the University of Southern California.



During my two grad school experience I never came across Saks but I read about her brave decision to reveal her disorder to the world. Saks wrote a memoir entitled The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness.



Saks was valedictorian at Vanderbilt University, graduated with honors from Yale Law School. She is a clinical research associate and an ajunct professor in psychiatry as well. Since adolescence, Saks has battled schizophrenia.


Elyn Saks speaks about her battle with Schizophrenia (44min 21 secs)

“For 20 years I struggled with acceptance... Ironically, the more I accepted I had a mental illness, the less the illness defined me — at which point the riptide set me free,” said Saks.

Schizophrenia affects approximately 1 percent of the world’s population which translates to more than 3 million Americans and is classified by the National Mental Health Institutes (NAMI) as one of the top 10 causes of disability in the world.

Can you imagine attempting to function with this challenge before you? Can you imagine attempting to find happiness and contentment? Those who are able to stabilize through meds and therapy are quite fortunate. There is a percentage who are unaffected by such treatments. There are some who have absolutely no insight into their illness. Those who do not think that they are ill.

For instance...during my time working in a inpatient hospital of psychiatry, I met "Jesus" more times than I can count. I met individuals who were convinced that they were magic, or healers and others who hated themselves and others who couldn't carry on conversations because the voices were so strong.

During my time working at a particular outpatient facility for mentally ill adults, I worked with patients who struggled to drown out the voices on a daily basis. I made it a point to express how proud I was of these individuals who did all they could to take each day as it came. Alcoholics take it one day at a time. Well, so did my clients.

Perhaps the next time you hear a person refer to a clearly mentally ill person as "crazy" perhaps you will speak up and say..."no, they are sick and it's not their fault."

Have you ever come across a homeless individual who seems to be speaking to an invisible person? Rather than giving a look of shame, disgust or fright, perhaps take a moment to wonder what their life might be like. Can you imagine being homeless? Can you imagine being homeless AND mentally ill? Harassed by the police, shunned from the public and most likely experiencing self-doubt.

Mental health programs are continually being cut due to lack of funding. In California Arnold Schwarzenegger's budget cuts have prevented many from participating in programs that could help. Whether Schwarzenegger had to cut the budget and had little choice is to be debated. But it is difficult to know that facilities and programs that helped so many may not be available to those who need them.

Surely, there are many world, state and communal issues that are worthy of attention. Surely, each individual has an issue that is near and dear to them. Here, I am adding one more to the list. I don't expect you all to drop what you are doing and suddenly become a mental health advocate. However, perhaps this post will bring forth some awareness. All I want to do is plant a seed.

For more information on mental illness and what can be done to help go to..

National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
www.nimh.nih.gov

National Alliance on Mental Illness
www.nami.org

No comments:

Post a Comment