Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sekou Sundiata



I've been posting about poets that I admire. Sekou Sundiata is no longer with us but he is definitely worth mentioning.

I was first introduced to this work when I saw him open for my favorite musical artist Ani Difranco in 2001. He was an activist, poet, playwright, songwriter, educator, and vocalist.



After I saw him perform I immediately went out and purchased his album released in 2000, Long Story Short.

In addition to his many artistic ventures Sundiata was a teacher of literature at New York City's New School University. Ani DiFranco once took a class from Sundiata and has stated that he "taught me everything I know about poetry".


Sekou Sundiata performing with Ani Difranco live. This footage is from Render - Spanning Time with Ani DiFranco 2002 (dvd). I can't be sure but I think this performance might be from the concert I saw in 2001.

Sekou Sundiata reading a poem at the 2006 Dodge Poetry Festival


A poem performed by Sekou Sundiata that aired on Bill Moyers Journal July 20, 2007. Sundiata died on July 17, 2007

It is unfortunate but Sundiata passed away in 2007.
He died due to heart failure at a hospital in Valhalla, New York. Throughout his life Sundiata had struggled with various illnesses such as cancer, kidney failure, a kidney transplant, pneumonia, and a broken neck sustained in an auto accident. Of course for those of us who know his work, he will not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment