Saturday, August 29, 2009

Post Secret



I think a lot of us by now have heard of the Post Secret project and books organized by Frank Warren. To some Warren is considered the most trusted stranger in America. His work is simply this. People submit anonymous secrets on a postcard.

I knew that Frank Warren had a website, I knew that he had published books full of collected postcards but until recently I had no idea just how his project has expanded.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this project allow me to post some examples from Frank Warren's Post Secret Blog.













As fascinated as I have been with this project I never sought out the story behind it. I won't attempt to paraphrase and will take Warren's explanation straight from his website .

What is the story behind PostSecret?

In December 2003, I took my first trip to Paris, France. That night checked into a hotel in the Latin Quarter. While I slept I had an extraordinary dream that would change my life and eventually lead me to the PostSecret project.

My first day in Paris I had purchased three Antoine de Saint-Expery's "Little Prince" postcards from a small shop near my hotel. When I got to my hotel room and prepared for bed I placed the cards in the nightstand drawer and went to sleep. During the night, I had a lucid dream in which I was aware that I was in my own dream. I found myself in my hotel room. In my dream I opened my nightstand drawer and examined the three "Little Prince" postcards. Each one had been altered with messages written on their backs. The first message read, "unrecognized evidence, from forgotten journeys, unknowingly rediscovered," the second message was about a "reluctant oracle" postcard art project and the last message I could not understand at the time. In January 2004, I started the "reluctant oracle" project. Every Sunday, I created an released a new work to be discovered. They were discovered by people serendipitously. The story found local, national and international media coverage.



The last message from "reluctant oracle" bore the message, "You will find your answers in the secrets of strangers." The next Sunday the PostSecret began.




I recently learned that Frank Warren also holds various Post Secret events.


Frank Warren and his Post Secret events: Trailer

I had no idea that Warren had a bigger goal with his Post Secret project. He doesn't present a mission statement of any kind on his website but it is evident by this trailer that this project has assisted many.

In fact Warren's website offers not only information about his project but links to suicide prevention and wellness hotlines. I am glad that Warren does this as I am sure there are many who directly or indirectly seek help from Warren or in general.

I think Warren is doing a great service to so many. When I initially heard of the project years ago I considered it to be strictly a work of art. It is so much more.

For more information on Post Secret go to http://www.postsecretcommunity.com









"Free your secrets and become who you are"
--------------------Frank Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment