Saturday, August 22, 2009

Dios

Straight outta Hawthorne!


(www.myspace.com/diosmalos)
Dios

I figured it's about time I blogged about my favorite band. Being that I've been starting to post about independent music I think it's fitting that I am including Dios.

Dios formerly Dios Malos and currently back to Dios and sometimes We Are Dios, is an amazing band from Hawthorne, CA.


Dios - I Want It All (animated video)

I was introduced to the magic of Dios through an ex-boyfriend. We went to a spot in L.A. to watch them play. I fell in love. How these guys weren't signed to a label was beyond me. But that wasn't the case for very long and Dios did then sign to Dim Mak records. The band is currently with Buddyhead Records.

The band started out as Dios before the summer 2004 but Ronnie James Rio of "Dio" felt the band names were too similar so he threatened Dios legally. Ridiculous ay?! Dios then changed their name to Dios (Malos) but are now back to their original band name, Dios. I am not sure why this is so or if they are in danger of the wrath of Ronnie James Rio.


(daytrotter.com)
Joel Morales

Joel Morales is the lead singer of the band and sings with a soothing and clean vocal. I think most who hear the band can't help but think back to the Pet Sound era of the Beach Boys.


Pet Sounds released May 16, 1966

Dios creates various sounds which seem to borough from folk, pop, psychedelic grooves and rock.


(looserecord.com)
Band Members
- Joel Morales - singer/songwriter/scrabble
- Edwin Kampwirth - keyboards/sounds
- John Paul Caballero bass guitar/hair-products
- Patrick Butterworth - drummer


The band members have changed over the years (including his brother Kevin Morales who has his own band now Sonadora) but the lead singer has maintained throughout.

Dios currently has two full length cds and one ep available in cd format. If you go to their websites you can purchase other treats from them on itunes. They have completed their third full length that has yet to be released. I can't wait!

Their ep entitled Los Arboles is sentimental to me as the cover artwork for the album features a photo of the rocket from Torrance California's "rocketship park".



Torrance and Dios' home town of Hawthorne are quite close to my home town of San Pedro, California. I have spent many nights on the top of that rocketship hanging out with friends.


Dios - "Grrl" - live at Outroom Ballroom


Dios - I Feel Fine live at at The Metro in Chicago, IL on 2/24/07


Dios - 50 Cents live at The Metro in Chicago, IL on 2/24/07


Dios - Nobody's Perfect - live at Annex Marquette in WI

For more info on Dios go to
http://www.myspace.com/diosmalos
http://www.wearedios.com/

1 comment:

  1. scrabblewordseek.com
    Thank you sharing useful information for us. i always read your blog.

    ReplyDelete