Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Buddy Wakefield


(poetcd.com) Buddy Wakefield


"Pretend you live for a living.."
--------Buddy Wakefield


I was first introduced to the wonder that is Buddy Wakefield years ago at an Ani Difranco show. Buddy was the opening act and I couldn't tell you how thrilled I was to have a slam poet open.

Buddy is a world champion slam poet from Seattle, WA and has been televised on NPR, BBC and on one of my favorite shows HBO's Def Poetry Jam. He is also on the board of directors for Seattle's Youth Speaks which is a 1996 founded non-profit organization that assists in education and developing young slam poets.
For more info head over to Http://youthspeaks.org

Below is my favorite Buddy Wakfield performance..

Buddy Wakefield - Convenience Stores

Buddy Wakfield - Convenience Stores

When I saw Buddy perform I was fortunate enough to witness him collaborate with political hip hop artist Sage Francis. In additon to touring and making hip hop records Sage has toured with slam poet teams and participated as a DJ for other various poetry events. He is also the owner and CEO of Strange Famous Records.


(consequenceofsound.net)
Sage Francis

Buddy Wakefield also participates in a slam poet production called The Drums Inside Your Chest. It is a yearly concert series that began in 2007. I look forward to the day they release dvds of the performances.
For more information head over to http://www.drumsinsideyourchest.com


The Dreams Inside Your Chest trailer



"This is my belief system and I do want to offer before I do this piece..if you don't believe what I believe ya'll....maybe you're family and my family could get together and have a war...cuz, that's popular...I think it's a great idea cuz we'll all die faster and we'll know who was right...
------------Buddy Wakefield


For more information on Buddy....
http://buddywakefield.com
www.myspace.com/buddywakefield
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Buddy-Wakefield-Official-Page/24181275688

No comments:

Post a Comment