Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bible Jim gives Christians a bad name



During my junior and senior years of college I attended The Evergreen State College. I graduated in 2002 but still have distinct memories of my encounter with "Bible Jim".

The Evergreen State College is a liberal arts school in Olympia, Washington. It is very much a "hippie" school and Bible Jim and his cronies often referred to the college as "Everdream".

I can honestly say that my time at Evergreen was one of the best experiences of my life. Being that I was a Christian at a liberal school I found that my politics often were in sink with the other students but my spiritual beliefs were not. I was definitely a minority in terms of my faith and religious spirituality was often a subject of ridicule amongst the students.

Being that Evergreen was not a school that embraced Christianity, I'm sure it was an opportune spot for Bible Jim to do his preaching.

One day I was walking through the campus and my attention turned towards a large group of students shouting at a man wearing a sandwich board. It happened to be Bible Jim and a few of his fellow street preachers.

I had never heard of him prior to that event but later came to find out that his real name is Jim Webber and he resides in Portland, Oregon. He is a full time street preacher who is married and has three children. Jim has written three books that discuss what he does and believes in.

Well, let me give you a peek at what Bible Jim does..


Bible Jim street preaching on a college campus


Ruben Israel and Bible Jim protesting at a Gay Pride parade

From these videos it is easy to see that Bible Jim does not come off as a loving and patient individual. What is also unfortunate is that it seems that some of the crowd members let Bible Jim get the better of them as they decide to behave in a ridiculous manner.

When I saw Bible Jim and his buddies at Evergreen I initially thought I should just walk on past them and not give them the attention they desired. But being that I was a Christian in a school who's majority population disliked Christianity, I figured I should speak up. I wanted Bible Jim to know that I did not agree with his methods.

I was nervous but I made my way through the crowd and shouted above the loud voices of Bible Jim and his friends. I said to them, "I am a Christian and I don't agree with what you're doing!". Suddenly, I was surrounded by video cameras held by students. Several students shouted, "let her speak!". As nervous as I was I told Jim that shouting at students is not the way to get people to listen to them. One of his buddies came very close to my face and said that God had sent him to yell at people. I said that if they want to talk to individuals and share a message that is one thing. But if the people they are speaking to say they do not want to listen then they have to respect that. I tried to explain to him that he cannot force a person to believe in God. I also tried to explain that if he continued to push the idea of God onto others they would most likely develop a negative view of Christians.

Jim didn't seem to find any meaning to what I had to say. And really why would he? He has devoted his life to preaching all over the U.S.

I tried to get the point across that calling people "sinner" insinuates that he is not a sinner himself. It also makes people feel backed into a corner. When Bible Jim didn't like what I was saying he would blow a whistle that hung around his neck and tell me that I was out of line or out of order.

When I was speaking to Bible Jim I was on the verge of tears. It took a lot for me to keep it together. I was so saddened by not only his chosen methods of preaching but by many of his views. He is a firm believer that women must be governed by men and he also stated that women should not be allowed to vote. Bible Jim was outspoken with his belief that homosexual individuals are evil and that they must attempt to "correct" this "sin".

While I am not a fan of Bible Jim I understand that he has the right to preach if he wants to. My concern is that those who oppose him will not debate him intelligently but rather lash out. Not only does this cause a lot of grief for the person who decides to lash out but I think it just fuels Jim's fire.

If you care to write to Bible Jim and let him know what you think...and I would encourage you to do so in a constructive manner...you can email him at
jwww@earthlink.net

6 comments:

  1. Psalms 101:3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,
    Thank you for stopping by.

    I am not sure what you are intending by posting Psalms 101:3. All, I can tell you is that I do not think this passage excuses Bible Jim's behavior and ethics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I guess not saying anything to anybody and just loving people is the solution? The bibl is full of people who did exactly what Jim does - street preach. It is unfortunate that we get more concerned with our reputation than with speaking the truth. Sure t needs to be done in love. But it needs to be done. We will make every excuse we can think of to avoid actually speaking this truth so we don't offend anyone. Sad, really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous,

    I don't have a problem with Jim street preaching. He has every right to do it.

    I agree with you whe you say that speaking out needs to be done with love. I do not know Jim personally but I would liket to assume that his intentions are good. However, I greatly disagree with his approach. He does not present himself with love when he asks his audience, "do you think I want to be here in this snake pit?" When he shouts and shames he is not encouraging or motivating or sending out a clear message of God.

    To know knowledge Jim has been doing this for a long time and I don't know what he considers to be his successes. He just doesn't seem to be contstructive in what he's doing. I honestly do not think that he is utilizing his time or his faith well.

    Being a Christian is often an unpopular decision as I'm sure you know Anonymous. I have no issue with a person wanting to share God's messege. However, I do have a problem with arrogance and a lack of humility.

    In my opinion Jim does not present himself intelligently or in a compassionate manner. He does not present himself as one that is joyous in spreading God's message but rather one who is angry.

    He is not teaching or positively influencing his audience.

    Additionally, feel that he is quite sexist and homophobic.

    My personal experience with Jim and his cronies was a negative one.

    One of his members put his face extremely close to mine and began shouting and was actually unintentionally spitting in my face.

    Later when I spoke to Jim he said that I was a nice person but I just didn't know how to ask questions. Well, I hadn't asked him any questions but yet he was content to insult me.

    I pray for Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at the judgment seat of Christ in Matthew 24. See what the basis of the judgment is. It is in how you treated a group of people that Jesus refers to as "my brethren". Who is it that Jesus called His brethren? Only those who do the will of the Father. What is the Father's will concerning preaching? go into all the world and preach to every creature. What is supposed to be the outcome? Read Matthew 10. Jesus said, "Think not that I am come to bring peace, nay but rather a sword. For I am come to set a man at virance against his... Go on and read it. Jesus said the expected and desired result of street preaching is division, polarization. That is what He said.

    My only question is since you stood against a man who was doing what Jesus said to do, is how will you escape the damnation of Hell? The very judgment of Christ is on how you treated His messengers, His preachers. Use your brain silly woman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bro Cope,
    I do not take issue with individuals who wish to street preach.

    You say that Jesus mentions the expected and desired result of street preaching is division and polarization. I don't doubt this. It makes sense that there would be division as not all agree with the teachings of Jesus.

    If you read my previous comments you will see that my issue is with the way Bible Jim and his friends preach. He does not appear to come from love, or humility.

    I do not believe that I will be sent to hell simply because I disagree with this man's approach.

    "Use your brain silly woman."
    It does not anger me but saddens me that you feel quite comfortable speaking to another fellow human being and child of God in this way.

    It feels quite condescending and sexist I might add. Am I wrong? I am not only silly but I am a silly woman? Do you use this way of speaking with men? "silly man"?

    ReplyDelete