Saturday, July 25, 2009

Whether you are spiritual or not, political or not...Rick Warren offers good insight to the meaning of stewardship

A few years ago there was a short time when I was living in Orange County. It was the worst experience of my life. I decided that I should try getting back to church. Despite my practice of Christianity I hadn't been in church for quite a while. I found Saddleback Church founded by Pastor and author of Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren.

It is often referred to as a "mega church" and it certainly is. One the way up to it there is a hill and big boulders and flags marked along the way. Kinda makes it seem like you're on your way to an amusement park. It is a very pretty church though and I think they give a good message. I love that it is a very casual church as well. Rick Warren often gives his sermons in Hawaiian t-shirts. Love it!



Aside from his duties within his home church he continues to work on his global P.E.A.C.E. plan (Promote reconciliation; equip servant leaders; assist the poor; care for the sick; educate the next generation) in which he connects with churches all over the world in attempts to offer assitance for poor communities and to connect with church leaders of various cultures. Although Warren has received some criticism for his efforts, he admits that this is aproxmiately a 50 year plan as well as a work in progress. I think his efforts are admirable.

Whether you are a person of Christian faith or not I believe that most people can benefit from what Rick Warren says here. Here he is speaking about "stewardship". I think this is something we can attribute to our politicians in Washington. Sure, he is speaking about how we as individuals can address our "world view" but as I listened to him (and I viewed this video in 2008) I very much thought about President Obama.

For those of you who may not have been familiar with Rick Warren before perhaps watched him speak at Barrack Obama's presidential ignauguration. If not, maybe you saw him as he mediated a debate between Obama and McCain at his church during the presidential election.


Pastor, philanthropist and author Rick Warren reflects on how the success of his book The Purpose-Driven Life triggered his own crisis of purpose. What should he do with this unanticipated wealth and attention? Warren uses his own story to explain the central tenet of his teaching: that the antidote to spiritual emptiness is recognizing what we have been given -- wealth, creativity, talent -- and using those gifts to make the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment