Friday, July 31, 2009

True man haters are NOT feminists

I was online and randomly came cross this image. It was coincidental since I had just finished posting about how feminists are not man haters. I suppose I should add that there are indeed people who claim to be feminists but are clearly not.





I decided to type the words "man hater" into google to see what came up. Here is an example of what I found.

(zazzle.com)
I saw this shirt from a site called Zazzle.com. I mention it here so you will know to stay clear of the site. The site not only sold several man-hating themed shirts but I also spotted a shirt that said, "not all feminists are man hating dykes!" So, not only is this website promoting sexism against men but also homophobia. They are not defending feminists but rather suggesting that lesbians are not merely gay but they are "dykes."

I also came across a website called Manhater.org The site claims it is aimed towards "ultra radical womyn united against phalloppresion." I was a bit confused as most of the site seems to be written in a language I do not understand. When I clicked on the "contact us" link I was directed to a message that read,

"If you are a hardcore feminist female, you are permitted to use this form to contact Man Hater. If you are not, DON'T BOTHER; you are inferior, and there is you could ever say or think or do – aside from mutilating your putrid genitals with a chainsaw – that is remotely interesting to us."

I noticed that the site's suggested mandatory..or rather "myndatory" reading included S.C.U.M (society for cutting up men) Manifesto by Valerie Solanas. Valerie Solanas was a woman who attempted to get her writings noticed, published and transformed into a play through Andy Warhol. Her story is brilliantly portrayed through the acting skills of Lili Taylor in the film I Shot Andy Warhol. Solanas worked as a prostitute but strived as a writer. In her book S.C.U.M she writes, "The male is a biological accident: the Y (male) gene is an incomplete X (female) gene, that is, it has an incomplete set of chromosomes. In other words, the male is an incomplete female, a walking abortion, aborted at the gene stage. To be male is to be deficient, emotionally limited; maleness is a deficiency disease and males are emotional cripples."

Lastly I found this video on youtube. The clip is from a former Dr. Phil episode. If you read my post on Dick Masterson the self proclaimed male chauvenist you may have seen this woman as well.

Shirley - Self Proclaimed Man Hater

This woman shames male chuavenists but she is just as sexist towards men. I don't understand how she doesn't see her own contradiction. This woman's views are quite extreme and I feel pretty certain that these feelings come from hurt and fear. She reveals that she had been married twice. She obviously wanted to love and I can't help but wonder if she would continue to love if she found someone who she could connect with on a healthy and stable level.

While I am disappointed in Shirley's views I am not wildly upset with her. I very much sense fear and hurt behind her anger and I think that those are the key factors that lie behind the passion and anger of other man haters.

I do not accept sexist thought and behavior of any kind and believe that sexist men and women need to be educated. Unfortunately not all persons are open to such a dialogue. It is something that cannot be forced upon another. I encourage anyone who eagerly desires to enlighten another, to do so with patience, empathy and a gentle nature. I believe it is important to understand your own motives for wanting to educate. Do you simply want to be right? Or do you want that person to benefit? This is advice I give to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment