Saturday, July 4, 2009

Rilo Kiley sells out and gives in to patriarchy


(forumserver.twoplustwo.com)
Rilo Kiley

Musicians selling out is nothing new. In fact over the years it's become increasingly popular. It often saddens me when I hear a an indie band I love backing up a commercial. Iron and Wine and M & Ms candy, Band of Horse and Wal-Mart, Feist and Apple to just name a few.

Recently I wrote a post entitled "Burger Babes". I wrote about the various sexist commercials featuring women sensuously eating fast food sandwiches. One of the most recent to air is the Carl's Jr. commercial featuring Audrina Patridge (cast member from the mtv reality show "The Hills").

The commercial's backround music is the song "Moneymaker" by Rilo Kiley.



All I can say is that this is sad sad sad. I don't know what the band's financial situation is, I don't know if they are looking for more exposure and I do not know if any members of the band consider themselves feminists. But this is a very socially unconscious move on their part.

No comments:

Post a Comment