Sunday, June 7, 2009

Shocking Shirts

Jennifer Baumgarder is an feminist activist and author. I have read her co-authored (with Amy Richards) book entitled Manifesta: Young Women, Feminism and the Future. For five years she was an editor at Ms. Magazine and now writes for various publications including Mother Jones and The Nation.

Baumgarder has taken a bold and some would say offessive step in destigmatizing women who have undergone abortion surgeries. Well, actually she has taken three steps. The first is a book entitled Abortion & Life which addresses the issues surrounding terminating pregnancy. She has produced a film by the same name which features women speaking out about their own abortions. I have not seen the film or read the book but I have seen photos of women wearing Baumgarder's "I Had An Abortion" t-shirts.


Gloria Steinem

According to her website (http://abortionandlife.com) this was Baumgarder's way of encouraging women to come out about their abortion procedures. She states that the shirts are meant to be shocking but not offessive. She is not saying that abortions are a happy occassion but rather one does not have to feel ashamed.

My thoughts on this matter? I am pro-choice but that does not neccarily mean that I am always pro-abortion. While I advocate reproductive rights for women I am not at a place where I can be as gung ho as some. Perhaps one day I will be. At the moment I can not see myself cheering happily at a pro-choice rally or sporting an "I Had An Abortion" shirt, if I had indeed had an abortion. The reason for this is that I find abortion to be too sad of a topic for me to shout and carry on with a hand held sign. However, that being said I understand that it is often people who do those things that get the job done. Active marchers, and caterwaulers and promoters of grassroot politics make a huge difference in history.

I am not opposed to Baumgarder's t-shirts. I am however, wondering why they make me twinge ever so slightly. I suppose it is because although I think some abortions are necessary, it is a procedure that takes a life just the same.

Any thoughts? Any opinions that might make me feel better about this topic?

No comments:

Post a Comment