Monday, June 8, 2009

Congratulations to classes of 2009 everywhere

I was watching the news today and saw various clips of head figures offering commencement speeches at various universities. Figures such as President Obama, The First Lady, Ellen Degeneres, Desmond Tutu and more.

I watched the smiles of various graduating classes and began thinking back to my own graduation in 2002. I can honestly say that college changed my life. Particularly the last two years. As I watched the tassles turn and hats toss into the air I began to wonder if these students felt something similar. I wonder if they all truly got something out of the speeches from their commencement speakers and if they will carry their words on with them into their futures.

I attended two schools. I transferred to the Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington for my Junior and Senior years of college. The woman who spoke at my graduation was Dr. Joycelyn Elders. Elders served as the surgeon general of the U.S. during the Bill Clinton's presidency. In December 1994 she made a statement that "masturbation is part of human sexuality and a part of something that perhaps should be taught." This prompted President Clinton to ask for her resignation. Many conservatives already had a problem with with Elders as she was quite vocal in her support of sex education, the distribution of condoms in school, abortion rights and the use of medical marijuana.

When she spoke at my school she was given a warm introduction by the school president. He stated that she was a former U.S. surgeon general but no longer had the position. Elders proudly stood before the podium to say in a humorous, righteous and sassy manner that we all know she was fired! She was received with an applause and roaring laughter. She went further to say that she knew what she had said (in reference to her comment about masturbation) and she would say it again!

Dr. Elders left a lasting impression with me. What stuck with me most was not her wit but her statement about us graduates. That we were so very fortunate to have a college education when there are so many that do not have the same opportunity. Amen.

Dr. Elders' speech was a great conclusion to my time at Evergreen. But to this day I am quite nostalgic for the place.


(llama.evergreen.edu)

Evergreen is smack dab in the middle of the forrest. I fell in love right away. I love California and I think I will most likely always call it home. But it is a big change to go from beautiful palm trees to a forrest.



(Evergreen State College Emblem) (http://www.tacomasds.org/)




(give.evergreen.edu)

Part of Evergreen's impact is due to how unconventional it is. It is a "hippie" liberal arts school that does not rely on grades or traditional classes. That's right. No grades. It's a pass or fail system and students enroll in one class rather than several. Each class/program can last from one to three trimesters. My senior class is what had the most impact. It was a multi-cultural counseling class entitled 180 Degrees. There are no "majors" at Evegreen but rather we choose an "emphasis". If you are feeling sketchy about this place, let me reassure you that it is an accredited school. I was never given a single test at Evergreen although I was assigned a LOT of reading and writing. I engaged in individual and group projects, an internship and a outdoor challenge series that was meant to unite and challege the class of 19 students.

The class was extremely challenging. In fact I pretty much had to audition to get in. I had to meet with a student counselor and be prepped for the class, read the professor's portfolio, phone interview with the instructor and sign a contract that literally stated that the class would take over my life. He wasn't kidding!

The class met several times a week for "seminar" in which we would discuss the readings for the week and issues surrounding psychology and multi-culturalism. It was quite difficult as the issues were heated and we didn't always get along. On many occassions the room became so heated I felt completly drained and dissapointed by the end. Still, it was the best experience I could ever ask for.


(www.usnews.com)
I mentioned that the campus is located in the forrest. In fact there is a pathway to an area that is very...well forresty. I spent a good amount of time there and felt so blessed to find myself in such beauty. Running water, a bridge, a pebble beach. I certainly wasn't used to pebble beaches. We've got sand her in California.


(www.flicker.com/.../in/set-72157604064846137)

Whenever I'd walk around the campus at night I'd hear drum circles, Bob Dylan or Marley flowing from the dorms, and people making or discussing art, music and politics.
As a Christian gal I was often a minority, but as a feminist I was able to find common ground with most.

At Evergreen I learned how to embrace myself. I learned to explore my issues, my desires, my goals. I learned to embrace my personality. My introversion. I also learned just what type of people I wanted in my life. I grew and began and emphasis on wellness.

I experimented with new activities as well. I joined a drumming circle/class, a west african dance class, (that I fell in love with) break dancing workshops, and modern dance classes.

I became more involved in multi-cultural and socio-political issues. I returned home a different person. A new outlook and dreadlocks! Hee!

***


(www.tescbookstore.com)
This is a geo-duck plush toy that I purchased from the Evergreen State College bookshop. I named him Jimmy. Isn't he cute? What is a geoduck? It's a clam! It's pronounced gooey-duck. It's also the mascot of the Evergreen State College. When I ventured on to graduate school the mascot was The Trojan. It made me think of Trojan condoms. Seems like the schools I choose have a phallic theme in common.


(potanbox.wordpress.com)

This is the geo-duck mascot. Evergreen doesn't have a football team...but we do have a basketball team. Although the main sport on campus is rugby.


(www.sacramentofoodblog.blogspot.com)
And here it is! It burries it self in the sand quite swiftly. Many people eat this clam. I've never tried it.


Washington state even has a song dedicated to the clam.


Dig a duck, dig a duck
Dig a geoduck
Dig a duck, dig a geoduck
Dig a duck a day


You can hear the digger say
As he's headed for the bay
I gotta dig a duck, gotta dig a duck a day

Cuz I get a buck a duck
If I dig a duck a day
So I gotta dig a duck
Gotta dig a duck a day


They walk across the sand
About a half a mile from land
To dig a geoduck

You dig him up by hand
But it isn't much trouble
And you don't use a shovel
You find a geoduck
By looking for the bubble


It take a lot of luck
And a certain kind of pluck

To dig around the muck
To get a geoduck
Cuz he doesn't have a front
And he doesn't have a back
And he doesn't know Donald

And he doesn't go "quack!"

Charming little diddy isn't it? Well, sort of. It's tacky and that's why I like it.

***

When I graduated it was quite an event. Brief but special non the less. Normally I actually wouldn't have felt the need to be a part of the ceremony but my class and I had been through so much together. I owe a lot to them and possibly even more to the professor. I miss him and still think about him. Every now and then I'll shoot him an email to touch base. He was so inspiring, so dedicated, patient and compassionate. I thank him.

The graduation was filled with interesting gown choices. Because the campus is filled with artists (and left handers like myself) there were many alternation made to the green gowns. I even saw a couple wear gowns made out of grass and sod.

I was excited to finish school but I knew that really my educational career was just beginning. I had plans to venture onto graduate school. I had another chaotic two years ahead of me. It's unfortunate (but understandable) that you can't get very far in the world of psychology with just a bachelor degree. It's treated as more of a highschool degree.

My 180 Degrees professor very much prepared us for graduate school. The class was like a mini-graduate progam. I graduated from the University of Southern California in 2008. As a recent grad I still hear the words of Joycelyn Elders. I acknowledge that I am fortunate and I do feel blessed and grateful for the opportunities I have had. And as I watched the proud students of 2009 raise their voices and sport "Hire Me" signs on their graduation caps, I feel grateful for what lies ahead... Life.

2 comments:

  1. So, I was just doing random geoduck searches and came across your post. I graduated at the same time you did (after attending two other colleges and then finally going to TESC). I primarily did a theater focus when there. What I gained from there has lasted more than the classes I took at a Big 10 university. I use it more in my daily life too! Just wanted to say Hi and that I think Evergreen is one of the greatest places ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi-rose,

      Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to meet another "greener" (I actually hated that nick name). Evergreen impacted me as well. I took psychology classes which truly prepared me for graduate school. I too learned a lot that I use in my daily life.

      Evergreen was quite the gift. I left my heart in Oly. I live in a small city which I often consider the Olympia of California. I become excited whenever I hear or see mention of Evergreen. I miss it terribly! I could go on and on about my love for Evergreen but I'll stop here.

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Come back any time.

      Delete